MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Garmin Custom Maps

smarandr

Got a Dakota 10 for Christmas and have been playing around with the custom maps feature.

I've always preferred USGS quads, and have a program that has already digitized the entire state for me. I've also followed the instructions on the Garmin website and have been successful in creating a few custom maps. However, the process of fitting the image overlay into the .kmz file is quite tedious, and the end result (at least so far) isn't an exact 100% match. Has anyone figured out a way to streamline the process?

Also if I do end up breaking down and buying something like Hunting GPS Maps, is there a product that uses USGS Quads as the map?

garmin uses vector based maps. raster maps only are used in the custom map section.

Topofusion makes the custom map uploading easier but I've had that app for a few days and the polish wore off rather quickly. Wish I had saved my $69.

Your dakota is also limited to 100 map tiles in the custom folder, you won't get close to the entire state on the gps. My $.02 advise is to use the flashy maps on the pc and stick to the rather crappy looking but very useable huntinggps maps on the gps.
That's the realization I've come to anyway.

Great info, thanks.

I also spent a lot of time tweaking the process last night and I discovered that if you know the lat/long of all the edges of your map you can plug those coordinates directly into Google Earth for a perfect fit.

smarandr-
There is an easy way of doing what you want. I've been down the same road. You don't need to fit the image in google earth anymore but I recommend double checking the kmz's you create by loading them into GE before your gps.

The program is called G-Raster. It will take free USGS topo maps, "de-collar" them, adjust size/quality and output a kmz file you can drag and drop onto your Garmin. No placing in GE is required because the USGS pdf is georeferenced already. Best of all the full version costs $5. Get it here http://moagu.com/?page_id=155

With the 100 tile limit set by Garmin for all but the Montana unit I've found scaling to 200 pixels during the process nets a good blend of quality and being able to fit 5 topo maps at a time on the Dakota/Oregon (20 tiles per 7.5 quad). About the size of a hunt unit here in Idaho. Create folders on your computer named by state/unit and drag and drop them before you go. Having USGS maps is handy with the aerial image, labeled roads, etc.

I do recommend gpsfiledepot for free land ownership maps. On your gps you can fit several entire state maps with public land info. You will be able to see public/private land then switch over to aerial USGS quads, all for $5. It will take a little bit to get the process down but becomes a breeze once you do.

smarandr-
There is an easy way of doing what you want. I've been down the same road. You don't need to fit the image in google earth anymore but I recommend double checking the kmz's you create by loading them into GE before your gps.

The program is called G-Raster. It will take free USGS topo maps, "de-collar" them, adjust size/quality and output a kmz file you can drag and drop onto your Garmin. No placing in GE is required because the USGS pdf is georeferenced already. Best of all the full version costs $5. Get it here http://moagu.com/?page_id=155

With the 100 tile limit set by Garmin for all but the Montana unit I've found scaling to 200 pixels during the process nets a good blend of quality and being able to fit 5 topo maps at a time on the Dakota/Oregon (20 tiles per 7.5 quad). About the size of a hunt unit here in Idaho. Create folders on your computer named by state/unit and drag and drop them before you go. Having USGS maps is handy with the aerial image, labeled roads, etc.

I do recommend gpsfiledepot for free land ownership maps. On your gps you can fit several entire state maps with public land info. You will be able to see public/private land then switch over to aerial USGS quads, all for $5. It will take a little bit to get the process down but becomes a breeze once you do.

Wow. awesome, thanks.

No prob. If I can save one person the initial frustration with the Garmin custom maps I'm happy to help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back