PEAX Equipment

Game Damage Hunt

MT_elk

I got called for a game damage hunt and was really excited. I got out there and there was not an elk to be found anywhere! Talk about a let down. I guess the hunters before me did their job and all the troublesome elk moved off. Maybe next year.

Bummer! the same thing happened to my brother a few years ago, never saw a sign of elk anywhere in three days of hunting.

Last year I too hunted several days in subzero weather with no elk in my area. However across the road laying on the hillside less than a half mile away were hundreds of elk. Some had their hooves laying on their noses snorting and giggling at me. The lead cow stuck her tongue out at me.

Last year I too hunted several days in subzero weather with no elk in my area. However across the road laying on the hillside less than a half mile away were hundreds of elk. Some had their hooves laying on their noses snorting and giggling at me. The lead cow stuck her tongue out at me.

Had the same thing happen to me...hunted 15 days and never even got close. A week after I call it quits everyone got a cow.

I was there also - and the week before with one of my sons that got called. This year another son went in a different area. The way the late season hunts have been run the last 2 years is a total....well I guess if you can't say anything nice you shouldn't say anything at all.

The goal of the current style of late season hunts is not to kill elk - it's to get them off the property of the unhappy landowner.

I guess I was lucky. FWP called and I called the land owner and he let me know when the elk were there. He called and my son and I went up one evening and it was over. Pretty good deal because the land owner drug the elk down to the truck for us and helped load it.

I've gotten the chance to try my hand on depredation hunts here in WA, I've never gotten an opportunity at an elk on these hunts, but two of my boys did. It's more fun to watch them get one anyway. It was odd and nice at the same time, to be hunting outside of a regular season.

I have never done it for elk, but I shot over 100 white-tails on depredation permits for a neighbor over a period of three years. Lots of freezers were filled. Nothing better than summertime deer meat!

Back