Game Carts

Bill Christy

Being a 69 year old solo hunter, I've had to figure ways for solving my own problems. Here in Idaho, we are allowed to take a game cart with us into the field if it has no motor. I have two favorites; Hawk Crawler game cart because all the weight is on four wheels and its easy to pull along roads and well used game trails. I also have a Smitty Sled for use in winter snow. At my age, I really can't go where my cart can't go anyway. I normally just park it close by for my final stock. My game carts have become my pack-mules. If it hadn't been for my game carts, I would have aged out of hunting long ago. I was just wondering if anyone else out there uses game carts?

365021-400x400.webp

I got a game cart two years ago for the same reasons. I have used it to move camping gear a few times but have yet to haul an animal with it. Where I shot my deer this year it was so steep a cart would have been more than worthless.

I've used one over the years, sometimes it makes sense, sometimes it's not worth the effort.

If there's a good relatively flat trail with not many rocks or dead falls it can be great. I also added a brake for going down steeper sections, I didn't have it for this photo and I sure could have used it.

P1030695 red.jpg

Pulled out a few deer with one all on closed roads. I’d like to add a higher folding handle to the one I use. I’ve also either got a bent axle or wheel that I’m sure will become a problem at some point

We have used our game cart on old logging roads and other approved routes, but not all of Idaho allows their use. They are still considered to have a mechanized advantage with the wheel so are not allowed in wilderness areas. Often much of the areas we have been hunting recently are too steep for them to be much help. They did come in handy on this hunt though. Three bulls in three days of hunting.
2012 Idaho bull elk  011.jpg

Being a 69 year old solo hunter, I've had to figure ways for solving my own problems. Here in Idaho, we are allowed to take a game cart with us into the field if it has no motor. I have two favorites; Hawk Crawler game cart because all the weight is on four wheels and its easy to pull along roads and well used game trails. I also have a Smitty Sled for use in winter snow. At my age, I really can't go where my cart can't go anyway. I normally just park it close by for my final stock. My game carts have become my pack-mules. If it hadn't been for my game carts, I would have aged out of hunting long ago. I was just wondering if anyone else out there uses game carts?
1425DF45-7D43-46EC-B9D2-BE9DA76CBAEE.jpeg51F85BE4-93BD-4D84-8F00-7AACADFC1430.jpegF0D7E040-A340-4F5C-AE9A-7CD5B357E571.jpeg2A0540B0-9195-4A89-98EF-073E63DB0810.jpeg04C4102D-5C88-4160-9A84-8360BBE01B7A.jpeg
Custom built for a specific hunt. Needs a few upgrades after season one but mostly in the length of handles and mounting system. Will add the ability to use with a two man team before next year. One guy pulls from the front with trekking poles and the guy in back can steer and balance.

Solid wheel is the only way

I hauled a destroyed e-bike trailer out of there. Two flats, broken axle, etc. abandoned in the backcountry

I’ve used the cheap ones and they work fine as long as there is no side slope. The crawler ones have some real fans, but I’ve not used one personally. Weight as low as possible on uneven terrain is where it’s at. My back only allows so much, and sometimes goes out altogether, so even though I prefer a boneless pack out on my back it is not always feasible

HR 1349: Wilderness Act amendment. Check it out

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back