Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Game Bags - Proper Use

Flatlander3

How do you guys handle game bags after the kill. Obviously throw the meat in and pack it out but what about once you get to the truck?

Do you throw the meat directly in your cooler with the game bag or without?

If without, it it fine to just rinse and dry them out then use them for your camps 2nd kill?

Once you buy a set of game backs, are you set until they tear? Just needing to throw them in the wash or something?

Thanks

I leave the meat in the bag when it goes into the cooler. The best way I have found to get the blood out of game bags is to soak them in dish soap and cold water in a 5 gal bucket. I’ll do the dish soap and cold water soak a couple times until the water is mostly clean. Remove any meat pieces and I’ll then wash them in the washing machine with detergent and bleach.

I leave the meat in the bag when it goes into the cooler. The best way I have found to get the blood out of game bags is to soak them in dish soap and cold water in a 5 gal bucket. I’ll do the dish soap and cold water soak a couple times until the water is mostly clean. Remove any meat pieces and I’ll then wash them in the washing machine with detergent and bleach.

I do the same as Pelican. I'm using Ovis game bags.

I tossed mine in the washer on the whitest whites setting. Then I ran the sanitize, then a load of my clothes, then a load of towels. It takes awhile for the smell to get out of the washer. If you’re married like I am do what these other people are saying, because my wife was PISSED!

We leave the meat in until we get home. Rinse with cold water outside or in the sink to get little meat chunks, big clots, etc (anything I don’t want in my washing machine) off. Then in the washing machine, soak 20-30 minutes or so in cold water and bleach, cold water rinse and spin, then air dry. I don’t like using detergent on game bags.

I leave our game meat in the bags in the cooler until we get home. I don't bother using bleach on the game bags because who cares if they are not perfectly white, they're game bags after all.
I've been using my Alaska Game Bags for over 10 years now and they are as good as new.

We'll soak ours in cold water in a 5 gallon bucket or something then change the water and put a little bleach in for a soak. Then wash, no detergent or very litter unscented hunting clothing detergent in the washing machine.
Loaned some game bags to a friend and he washed them with detergent, now we have nice fresh smelling not for game use bags. We washed them again several times and the detergent smell still lingers. Time will tell if it ever goes away.
The bleach is more for sanitizing of our game bags, not so much if they get whiter or not.
If taken care of they will last for years as many have stated.

Put them in a bucket and cover them with hydrogen peroxide...let them soak for a few hours rinse in cold water. Bleach them if you must after that...I don’t

I rarely use bleach anymore,even for my clothes.
I use peroxide , & A&H washing soda on the bags.

....and the same bottle washes a lot of loads of laundry. Takes a tablespoon per load.

Did no one here have Depression parents?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back