STC_0028.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
  • STC_0029.jpg
    STC_0029.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • STC_0030.jpg
    STC_0030.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
I never had this problem back east with whitetail for the most part. Running them out west here in Montana for Elk is definitely different. I learned after the first time I checked them. I take a paper towel and get it wet with 70% alcohol and put it in a ziplock bag. Once I get everything all set up I wipe down the camera, straps, lock and any thing I touched. I’ve had much better results doing this. I’ve never had bears bother mine but have gotten a few bears on camera so I’d think it would be worth a shot.

Recently set out my first remote camera and set it to collect video rather than photos. The camera saw no action for the first week but on day 7, a black bear found the camera and spent about 30 seconds sniffing/licking/pawing the camera before growing bored and wandering off. After a week, was it the human sent on the camera that attracted the bear? It came in at 1:00pm on an 85 degree day - little odd. How could that bear have possibly found that camera and been that interested in it, if not for the smell? Is he so aware of his environment that he noticed something out of the ordinary? Gotta believe that isn't the case. The camera was not mounted on a scratching post that is regularly used by bears. It was mounted just a couple feet off the ground. Anyone else had a bear or other wildlife take an interest in your camera and mess with it? Probably lucky he didn't bite into it or really try to tear it off the tree. Animal behavior - forever a mystery :) .

On a related note, I did a horrible job setting up the camera - hopefully corrected my rookie mistake and have it set to get better results in the weeks to come.
Did you stop at mcDonald's? A boar was sniffing around my camera last week. The wife made me a breakfast burrito. 😁

Just hang your cams up 10-15 feet and theyll be out of reach of everything except bear, and people wont see them either. I use slate river ez aim mounts, and carry a handful of screw in tree steps to get up the tree.

Just hang your cams up 10-15 feet and theyll be out of reach of everything except bear, and people wont see them either. I use slate river ez aim mounts, and carry a handful of screw in tree steps to get up the tree.
I generally do this as well. I have some wedges I've cut so slide behind to get the angle down, but a stick will work fine as well. I would suggest practicing at the house doing this so you can get an idea of the trigger area you need to target.

Grizzly didn't like a camera I had out last year on the Flathead. Ripped the camera off the tree and left it on the forest floor. Came back and checked on it almost a month later. Minus the broken brackets, no real damage to the camera.

1570915219081.png
1570915256403.png

1570915294897.png

I have lost quite a few cameras due to bears thinking they are chew toys. I think they can smell and sense the cameras.

I have lost quite a few cameras due to bears thinking they are chew toys. I think they can smell and sense the cameras.

Agreed. These are somewhat cheaper cameras so they occasionally have an audible shutter click. They also have low-glow illumination at night which the wolves really don't like either, but they just run away. Lots of critters pause or look, but the griz are the only ones to go after it.

Agreed. These are somewhat cheaper cameras so they occasionally have an audible shutter click. They also have low-glow illumination at night which the wolves really don't like either, but they just run away. Lots of critters pause or look, but the griz are the only ones to go after it.
I run StealthCam because they have always been good to me. For me, they always go after my most expensive cameras and leave the less expensive ones alone lol.

Back