Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Gaiters

Florida Boy

Planning on 2nd season elk in Colorado. Is there typically snow that time of year? And would gaiters be something you would bring? The unit we are thinking about has elevation of around 8,500 to almost 12,000 feet. Probably be hunting mostly 9,000-10,000.

It varies widely. I would definitely bring some. I was in 8 inches of snow last year at 9000 feet in September and I was in 80 degree weather with no snow at 10500ft in November.

I like to wear gaiters no matter what. I hate when debris somehow makes its way down into my boot. Oak brush and sage are very sneaky and if you are bushwacking or on the ground glassing they just seem to help in any situation.

They also help with rain or dew on tall grass from getting your pants and socks wet.

Sierra Trading post has OR gortex gaiters on sale all the time. I have those and the Kuiu ones. Love them both.

^this. I Have the core 4 ones but I need to get a lighter pair for warm days, the core 4 don't breathe much so on hot days your pants are soaked from sweat

I wear gaiters whenever I hunt... crossing steams, dealing with mud, snow, wet grass, etc. I've never wished I didn't wear them. I have kuiu and outdoor research... the outdoor research are a better gaiter but they are louder.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to wear gaiters no matter what. I hate when debris somehow makes its way down into my boot. Oak brush and sage are very sneaky and if you are bushwacking or on the ground glassing they just seem to help in any situation.

They also help with rain or dew on tall grass from getting your pants and socks wet.

Sierra Trading post has OR gortex gaiters on sale all the time. I have those and the Kuiu ones. Love them both.

+1 on this.

I wear mine all the time, regardless of weather. They are 20 year old Cabelas goretex brand and they have served me very well.

I even wear them here in Missouri during all the seasons. Helps keep the boots laced up, and when doused with Permithian, a great tick barrier in Spring.

Thanks for the replies. I haven't bought any yet, was leaning toward Kuiu but was shopping around still. I wonder if gator hide would be good for making gaiters???

Anybody have any feed back on Kenetrex gaiters??

I love mine. They have a nice wide velcro that helps the gaiter stay up even if the top isn't cinched tight. They are tough. I've used mine on 8 sheep hunts in Alaska mostly for stream crossings. They have withstood rocks and lots of brush busting in that country.

+1 on the Kenetrek gaiters. To me the whole point of wearing them is to stay dry. I've never had wet feet with them

Been wearing my Cabellas GT APRT gaiters for 20 yrs.
I wear them when it is very rainy or snowy. Not many creeks in NM you can't hop across.
Like the Kenetreks but was wondering if they are noisy. Have some cordura gaiters that are only good for snowshoeing...

On the debris in boots deal, I get unhemmed or long pants & hem them with a paricord draw string & a spring cinch. Never get anything in my boots,pants don't ride up or catch & I've crossed streams without pulling the gaiters from the pack. They are always part of my rain gear.

Sitka Stormfront are pretty serious gaiters. They do have some noise to them, but no more than the Kenetreks that they replaced for me. These are more rigid. I used them in incessant rain and swamp over a week with no leakage. Very impressed.

In less demanding weather/ earlier in the season I prefer the first lite traverse gaiters. Good for quick stream crossing and keeping the morning dew off your pants/boots.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back