gaiters and a few other gear questions..

dcopas78

Hello everybody,

I just wanted to ask a question about a few gear items I am on the market for. I have been looking around at gaiters - namely the kuiu, wiggys, and a few other brands- and I was just wondering what types you all used. Also, I am looking at the kifaru woobie that I would use as a leg warmer when sitting and glassing. I have also looked at the wiggy's leg jackets and wondered if anyone had used these. I have the kuiu puffy jacket and have looked at the puffy pants but think that the woobie is more versatile since I could use it as a leg cover during glassing and an insulating layer in the sleeping bag if needed. Any suggestions appreciated in advance, thank you!
Derek

Kuiu gaiters work well. I have gaiters both from kuiu and kenetrek, both are very well made. The Kuiu gaiters seem to fit tighter, but kenetrek gaiters, at least the camo ones, are made of a much quieter material. Also a note on the Kuiu down pants, they do work well inside a sleeping bag in cold weather, I don't have any personal experience with the woobie.

Kuiu gaiters work well. I have gaiters both from kuiu and kenetrek, both are very well made. The Kuiu gaiters seem to fit tighter, but kenetrek gaiters, at least the camo ones, are made of a much quieter material.

Feel the same. Prefer kuiu though hands down.

I have Outdoor Research gaitors and bought a pair of Kennetrecs for the wife. I like the OR better and you can usually get them at a better price.

So, looking for quiet, which is the best way to go?

When noise is the concern, I think kenetreks win. (They have to be the camo material though) The kuiu's can be quiet,but mostly because the fit tightly on the leg. They will be more noisy against brush and such and if you do rub your legs together. The material on the kenetreks is soft and quiet enough that it's quiet in the brush and when your legs touch. Also, don't know if the deal is still on, but kenetrek was including a pair of gaiters with the purchase of a pair of mountain boots. Most comfortable boots I have owned by far.

I really like the Kenetreks. Only brand I've tried though...but in my book, that means they must be great. If I don't like something, its pretty easy for me to find an excuse to try a different piece of gear.

I own 2 different pairs of Outdoor Research with no complaints about either set. Like mentioned above I spent less than $50 for both pairs combined.

I have used Sitka, Kuiu and OR. I really liked the Sitka, but lost one somewhere this fall. Kuiu is growing on me. Second day out I had a rivet pop out, but I found it and was able to reverse it and get it back to working. No problems since then. The OR's are a very short cut. Work good for short hiking boots and don't run up the calf. They were cheap, so I gave them a shot. If I ever get another pair it will probably be the OR Crocs. Sitkas are too much, unless someone else is buying. No Kenetrek experience.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back