Gaining Knowledge

Hey All,

I am looking to get some knowledge from elk hunters in Wyoming. I am a non-resident and have accumulated 3 preference points for elk. I am trying to decide if I should apply for a Tag or wait and build a few more to maybe ensure a better unit. I am not really positive on what units I should look into. I am looking for a quality bull and little hunting pressure. If anyone could be of assistance that would be great. Also, i'm not affraid to do some hiking to find some animals

As far as points go, it never hurts to apply for the tag. The worst thing that can happen is you don't draw and you continue accumulating points.

As far as where to go and finding big elk with little pressure - that's what we're all looking for!

I am stealing a comment from Bambistew on this topic:
I usually don't respond to these type of posts. I think many think "on your own" means "how to do it yourself, help me please." On your own is just that... While there is a bit of overlap, and lots of sharing, of information, starting a post with your hands out for free information is not the best way to find a place to hunt. It's even more ironic that information is asked a week or two before the season opens. A guy has to be informed, and saddled with all the information he can gather. Asking for a place to go means you haven't done your homework, and I doubt you'll get anyone to help you out.

The first place I would start is the DOW (or what ever they call it now) website. There is so much information about elk hunting, its almost overwhelming.

Lots and lots of places to go. The only way you can figure it out is putting on your boots and going for a walk. Look for areas well away (2+ miles) from ATV trails/roads and include about 1000-1500+ vertical, and of course elk habitat... and you'll find all the elk you want to hunt.

Good luck

I agree with MT, apply.

As far as units/spots, tons of resources out there. Drill down on units and pick 3-6 of them that might fit what you are looking for. If you are using your PP's, your list of candidates will likely be shorter. Most state websites have maps with them. Harvest data, etc. Once you have it narrowed that far, look deeper. Is there wilderness (No NR's w/o guide), private land, bull/cow ratios.

Once you have narrowed the units even down further, you can do some calling. You will get more valuable insight if you ask educated questions. EX: DO NOT ASK "Where should I go?" It will get you just as vague, if not smart@ss answers.

How and what to ask EX "I plan on driving in on @ss Rupture Road. No Tellum Creek looks like some good area in the upper parts of the drainage. Are there elk in the area that time of year, or should I be looking elsewhere? Do you know of anyone who might offer packout services if I killed one up there? What other places might you suggest to someone who prefers to backpack hunt?"

It shows that you have done some research and not just looking for hot spots.

Many game wardens and biologists hunt also. They also field tons of questions from people asking for spots. They likely just rattle off the largest drainages they know of, telling you there are elk in them. If you ask generic questions, you will get generic answers. Just like the 87 people before you. Set yourself apart.

I have found the game wardens and biologists very helpful. They don't have much of an off season. Earlier you contact them, the better.

I enjoy the research aspect ALMOST as much as the hunt. The hunt is over with in a week or two. You can research for months.

Z Barebow,

I agree with everything you said. Maybe i'll just put in for a general tag and that would open up the opportunities of areas to hunt. I know I have alot of research still ahead of me to do, but can I apply and draw a tag without using up all of my preference points or once I draw any tag will it take me back to zero? I have been on the Wyoming Game and Fish site looking for this information but I wasn't clear on how that would work? These might seem like dumb questions I'm just not sure and don't want to waste my points I've built up.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!!!!!

You will lose all your points if you draw your first choice. You can spend the extra money and apply for the special draw and you may draw a general tag as a second choice and keep your points.

That makes sense 5Speedjim, thanks for your input. I will look into that option!!!
I want to get after the elk and don't want to wait for another 5 years to build up more points, so these options are great for me. So, I may try and apply this for this coming season 2015, I have never tried for a TAG yet just strictly got points.

It may be a good idea to get a cow tag for the area you want to hunt before you blow your points and find out the hard way about difficulties in the area.

That is something I had not thought about. It could be more of a scouting hunt and if lucky possibly get a cow, Great idea!!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
northernmaineguide
Back