G5 Strikers - ferrule breaking

RockyDog

This year i switched to the G5 strikers and now might be sorry i did.

While shooting at my foam 3d deer target i made a bad shot with a brand new striker broadhead. The arrow went through a hollow plastic leg on the target, deflected and landed in soft dirt in the field. The broadhead had broken off at the ferrule inside the shaft insert. It had only passed through about 3/16" of plastic and i dont think it had broke when hitting the dirt.

I asked a friend who shoots the G5 striker and his broadhead had broke at exactly the same point on an elk (which was lost but arrow recovered) and on another arrow that hit a rock.

Ive read nothing but positive reviews on the strikers, but im now wondering if id want to risk shooting an elk and having the stinking broadhead break on impact with a bone, even a rib bone.

I may try shooting these blades into a steel drum to see what happens. But they are spendy.....

I may try shooting these blades into a steel drum to see what happens. But they are spendy.....

Small price to pay when you consider what you'll have wrapped up in your elk hunt. Not to mention your animal deserves a clean kill

I have heard a lot of goods things about the Montec but I can't say I've heard much either way on the Striker.

Seems pretty fragile to me.

I have shot Muzzys for 10 years now and have never seen one break. If they did I would throw them in the garbage and move on, first time.

Archery is a big enough pain without broadhead failure in the back of your mind.

Rockydog,

It seems to me that the steel from that mix might have been brittle. I shoot wac'em broadheads now. They are the same thing as the striker, they claim G5 stole their design, so now both manufacture the same thing. Wac'ems are cheaper because they don't have the advertising blitz that G5 does. Maybe there steel is better, I don't know. They both use a solid pc of steel and machine it down. I shot through a quartering away bull last year cutting off a rib with a dead center hit. It did bend a blade. I didn't get the penetration I have been use too before. I used the Old Bear Razorheads for close to 30 yrs. The carbon shafts I went too won't shoot those big heavy heads.

The exact same thing happened to me twice, on small CA deer too. I loved the way they flew but I gave up on them for that same reason. I have a buddy who also had it happen on a Montec. G5s are made of poured, cast metal. They are not machined. That is an inherent weakness IMO.

I recently started shooting a head called a VPA Terminator. Check it out www.vparchery.com. It's a design similar to a Montec but it is machined steel, cut from one piece. No welds and not cast. It's super strong. I put one in a vice and beat on it with a mini sledge, I could hardly even bend it. Just for kicks I did the same with the Montec and it broke on the first light whack. They are also sharp and fly great.

The exact same thing happened to me twice, on small CA deer too. I loved the way they flew but I gave up on them for that same reason. I have a buddy who also had it happen on a Montec. G5s are made of poured, cast metal. They are not machined. That is an inherent weakness IMO.

I assumed they were built the same. Wac'ems are suppose to be machined out of SS. That would even be more reason to use them over the striker.

thanks guys. between your posts and after finding other guys on the web talking about their strikers breaking im ready to return them and look at the Wac'ems and VPAs. What a bunch of crap really. The word should be spread about G5.

Rockydog,

You should try some 4 blade magnus stingers. Seriously the best broadhead especially for the money that i think a guy can buy. I have dumped the last 4 bulls and last couple deer i have shot with those broadheads. in fact, shot my 320 bull last year with one, touched it up a bit, and smoked a 160" whitetail with it two months later:) might still use it this year too!

The word should be spread about G5.

They don't necessarly hide the fact that their heads are cast metal, but they sure claim 100% steel. I guess they hope folks will just take it at that and not look into it further to see that their heads are not machined and are actually a weak form of steel. Unfortunately most folks don't have the knowledge or desire to investigate further. I'd even take machined alluminum over pot metal steel any day. I can see a broadhead blade breaking or bending under serious stress, but under no circumstances should a ferrule break. That is the backbone of the broadhead. There are too many good heads out there made of machined steel to mess with one that is inherently inferior. That just a physical fact and I think anyone with even the most basic understanding of metalurgy would agree.

thanks guys. between your posts and after finding other guys on the web talking about their strikers breaking im ready to return them and look at the Wac'ems and VPAs. What a bunch of crap really. The word should be spread about G5.

May want to look at Slick Tricks too. They are gaining quite a reputation for durablility and excellent flight.

oh well i hope i at least saved somebody on here from spending $40 per box of 3 on bad broadheads.

I bought two boxes that will not be used for hunting. Maybe ill shoot them into something hard and see how many break.

I'm surprised at the feedback on G5. But, mileage does vary. :D I shoot 100gr G5 Montecs and have never had a problem with them. Hell, I've shot through targets, through hay bales, etc. and nailed rocks, trees, you name it but haven't had any issues with the broadheads.

well geesh, i may have to take back a few things. I just called G5 and they were very helpful. They were aware of the problem and are sending me two replacement boxes of strikers at no cost. Without going into detail, there was a manufacturing glitch that caused about 15-20% of strikers built during a certain time last year to have a faulty ferrule. They told me to keep my two boxes and beat on them and see how many, if any, of the others are weakened.

Im still not sure if the striker ferrule is faulty, but i can say G5 stands behind their product.

well geesh, i may have to take back a few things. I just called G5 and they were very helpful. They were aware of the problem and are sending me two replacement boxes of strikers at no cost. Without going into detail, there was a manufacturing glitch that caused about 15-20% of strikers built during a certain time last year to have a faulty ferrule. They told me to keep my two boxes and beat on them and see how many, if any, of the others are weakened.

Im still not sure if the striker ferrule is faulty, but i can say G5 stands behind their product.

That is very cool. I pretty much did the same when I had a problem. I sent a polite note via their online customer service inquiry system. I think I even did it twice. I was ignored. That really soured me. Perhaps I should have called and I would have got a better response.

A Slick Trick is a good choice too!

FWIW, on another site there have been a few reports of slick tricks not holding up at high speeds on elk. Don't shoot the messenger! :D

Those VPA's look pretty slick. Just wonder if there are planning issues with the heavier ones without cutouts in the blades?

I've shot the 125gr VPA and I have not noticed any planing issues. If your bow is properly tuned and your arrows are properly spined you shouldn't have any planing. I actually like the lack of vents, it makes the arrow dead quiet. I've experienced field point like flight out to 50 yards (the furthest I've shot them so far).

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colt97
Back