FWP Bonus Point Sketchiness

The degree to which the system is messed up is crazy. I get about an email per week this time of year on something messed up with the MT draw. I got this email this morning.

Did the rule change that you lost your points if you paid for your point in the spring draw of 2022 and not in the fall, as the lady told this guy? I've not heard of that.

I told the person to demand that FWP fix this for him. If they won't, I will suggest he require FWP show him the rule change and the authority for the rule change.
1684013535892.png

@Big Fin Randy the way I read this person's email is they bought a pref point in the spring of 2022 and DIDN'T apply for a tag thos spring 2023 and thought they could buy another point this summer (2023)

"I checked my receipt from 2022 and sure enough, I paid $200 for preference points. I called MT FWP and the lady told me that they changed the law last year, and that I needed to apply in the spring to maintain that preference point. I was under the assumption that I could buy a second preference point along with my bonus points during the summer point buying period after the application period. I was wrong."

This would fall under not applying for a tag in consecutive years thus losing his pref points.

View attachment 275720
This happened to my 2 buddies also. I had called FWP and got verification they needed to apply but they chose not to and lost their point.

That’s a bummer, imagine watching the deer vanish as quickly as your points. That sucks too.

@Big Fin Randy the way I read this person's email is they bought a pref point in the spring of 2022 and DIDN'T apply for a tag thos spring 2023 and thought they could buy another point this summer (2023)

"I checked my receipt from 2022 and sure enough, I paid $200 for preference points. I called MT FWP and the lady told me that they changed the law last year, and that I needed to apply in the spring to maintain that preference point. I was under the assumption that I could buy a second preference point along with my bonus points during the summer point buying period after the application period. I was wrong."

This would fall under not applying for a tag in consecutive years thus losing his pref points.

View attachment 275720
You are correct. You can’t go two years without applying and keep your preference points. Otherwise you could go into the next draw with 3 points (after purchasing one at the time of application in year 3) without previously applying. The only way to go in with 3 is if you apply when you have 2 and fail to draw.

Last edited:
Glad they fixed how this shows up this year to reflect what is actually going on. I started saving these last year because I wanted to track how things may or may not change, the points were correct last year but the year being displayed was not (should have said through 2023).

Also kudos to FWP that this is the first year I can remember that all my application info from last year was saved so that definitely saved some time, just clicked through and verified and changed the a unit as desired. Got my super tag chance to boot!

Attachments

• Bonus Point Comparison.pdf
    211.3 KB · Views: 37
So they give you your point this year instead of applying it to next?? Big deal…? This is typical whiner material here, I’d need someone to really explain how this is negatively impacting anyone buying points? I can’t believe the thread about the airport dude got locked and this dumbazz article is still being whined about… who reported the airport thread? Report this garbage too

So they give you your point this year instead of applying it to next?? Big deal…? This is typical whiner material here, I’d need someone to really explain how this is negatively impacting anyone buying points? I can’t believe the thread about the airport dude got locked and this dumbazz article is still being whined about… who reported the airport thread? Report this garbage too
Na - this time theyre right.

Buying a 100$ "pref" point it not being used and being lost is wrong.

MT fwp has messed up one thing or another with the draw - and its grown to a scope to manage that is beyond their capabilities. Hopefully - they eventually hire a private (audited) 3rd party to run the draw.

MT fwp has messed up one thing or another with the draw - and its grown to a scope to manage that is beyond their capabilities. Hopefully - they eventually hire a private (audited) 3rd party to run the draw.
It doesn’t say it’s lost? It says you get it this year to apply for this years drawing instead of being awarded AFTER FAILING to draw. The dude said it’s like buying a raffle ticket and 300 sold but instead they sell 600, they’ve done that with the tag caps sure! But that’s not what I read is happening with the bonus points. The way I read it, the analogy would be more like this: back in the day- every year, you buy a raffle ticket and if you don’t win, they give you another to bring back next year. NOW- you buy a raffle ticket and they give you TWO entries, and if you don’t win you bring the both back next year, instead of having to lose to get the second…. You get the next bonus point at purchase not after losing…. That’s not a problem?

MT fwp has messed up one thing or another with the draw - and it’s grown to a scope to manage that is beyond their capabilities. Hopefully - they eventually hire a private (audited) 3rd party to run the draw.
You might read it again. I think you drastically misunderstood what happened.

It doesn’t say it’s lost? It says you get it this year to apply for this years drawing instead of being awarded AFTER FAILING to draw. The dude said it’s like buying a raffle ticket and 300 sold but instead they sell 600, they’ve done that with the tag caps sure! But that’s not what I read is happening with the bonus points. The way I read it, the analogy would be more like this: back in the day- every year, you buy a raffle ticket and if you don’t win, they give you another to bring back next year. NOW- you buy a raffle ticket and they give you TWO entries, and if you don’t win you bring the both back next year, instead of having to lose to get the second…. You get the next bonus point at purchase not after losing…. That’s not a problem?
One thing that happened is the guy with 1 point now has 2. 2 squared is 4.

The guy with 20 points now has 21. 20 squared is 400. 21 squared is 441. This times thousands of applicants. The new guy went backwards depending on the number of high point applicants in the particular drawing.

But if anyone gave 1 shit about the new guy this point system wouldn't exist.

What makes me mad is that they still have the application process all split up. Some
Units are first choice only some are first and only choice then some are just whatever. Why isn’t this all the same pretty ridiculous

Let’s ash can the bonus points and go to a true preference point. Bonus pts are a joke.

I think once you’ve drawn one each of MSG, your bonus points should go into a power play mode where you automatically rack up 10 additional points for each species all at one time, you know as an incentive to hurry up and draw.. this power play mode could cost like, $10.

1711456105300.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back