Fusion.

This approach is so far away from being viable it's almost laughable, which is sad at the same time. They were close to breakeven a few years ago, so now they have finally achieved that milestone it means nothing really. We're not talking about another factor of 2 or 3 needed, they are still orders of magnitude away from anything useful. Being cynical this looks mostly like hype to me, which is nothing unusual for LLNL
Not sure where you're seeing the hype. They make it pretty clear that all they have done is cleared the first hurdle. But they have been trying to clear that hurdle for around 70 years, so this is a pretty big deal. You will never get to the final step until after you take first step.

This approach is so far away from being viable it's almost laughable, which is sad at the same time. They were close to breakeven a few years ago, so now they have finally achieved that milestone it means nothing really. We're not talking about another factor of 2 or 3 needed, they are still orders of magnitude away from anything useful. Being cynical this looks mostly like hype to me, which is nothing unusual for LLNL
Laughing because I bet I know where you work.......

Not sure where you're seeing the hype. They make it pretty clear that all they have done is cleared the first hurdle. But they have been trying to clear that hurdle for around 70 years, so this is a pretty big deal. You will never get to the final step until after you take first step.
The hype is that it was splashed all over the news for a few days, and sold as a much bigger deal than it really is. I eagerly clicked on the link hoping this was something new, only to find the same crap NIF has been peddling for a decade or more, just showing a modest advancement in yield. They are so far away from true breakeven when you do a true accounting of all energy inputs it's depressing. Then there's the whole issue of efficiently capturing the nuclear yield.

My most optimistic view: This is a very long term research project that might lead to something interesting in 50+ years.

My cynical view: This is a multi-decade multi-billion dollar boondoggle make work project, but that's nothing unusual for a DOE laboratory.

They tried for hundreds of years to build an airplane. Once, they cleared the initial hurdle of flight things moved along rapidly. I will concede they probably weren’t dealing with the same level of govt oversight!

They tried for hundreds of years to build an airplane. Once, they cleared the initial hurdle of flight things moved along rapidly. I will concede they probably weren’t dealing with the same level of govt oversight!
I understand the sentiment, I spent most of my career doing long term research.

But the analogy to flight is just not a good one. This "machine" is still so far from "flight" that the milestone/hurdle reported is almost meaningless.

I get it, you could say the same thing about the advancement in genetics once they discovered DNA. My main point, maybe not clearly stated, is that at times once a hurdle is jumped things start progressing more rapidly.

I know they had pretty much given up on the idea of fusion as the fix all of the energy crisis. My sister was dating a guy who was going for his doctorate in physics with the idea of being a pioneer in the fusion game. He was informed that if he continued on that course he would never find a job. So he changed direction. I know he got his doctorate, but I don't know what he specialized in because my sister dumped him before then.

I get it, you could say the same thing about the advancement in genetics once they discovered DNA. My main point, maybe not clearly stated, is that at times once a hurdle is jumped things start progressing more rapidly.
You are correct if the hurdle involved some new discovery, (DNA is a great example) or revolutionary improvement in the technology. But in this case it looks like they just made a rather incremental improvement in what they had been doing.

You are correct if the hurdle involved some new discovery, (DNA is a great example) or revolutionary improvement in the technology. But in this case it looks like they just made a rather incremental improvement in what they had been doing.
More funding to come.....

David
NM

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back