Fur guys - what did I do wrong?

Hunting Wife

This was only my second winter putting up furs so I have a lot to learn. So far it’s been all coyotes and that seems like it’s been going well. An acquaintance shot a badger in December and didn’t want it, so I thought I’d skin it since the fur looked nice. Just for fun, and to try something new. Skinned, fleshed and dried just like I do the coyotes and it seemed like it went fine. Sent it to be tanned, and it came back looking like this-
2A6E6763-DA32-4E23-A1DE-DCDE3AE958C7.jpeg
Can’t see great in the photo, but all the guard hair down the middle of the back from the neck to the hips is gone. I assume I did something wrong, but I don’t know what. Any ideas? Is December a bad time for badgers? I think I read they get prime a little later than other critters? Just wondering what I can learn to do better next time.

Badgers around here prime up really late but maybe if you had good snow they just got rubbed off.
Seems late into Feb and March on good cold years for prime badgers down here.
Maybe also it was a young one?
Did Moyle tan it for you ?
Looks like a good job on the feet though !
A badger is on my list for a nice hide as well, never see them when they are prime it seems.

Badgers around here prime up really late but maybe if you had good snow they just got rubbed off.
Seems late into Feb and March on good cold years for prime badgers down here.
Maybe also it was a young one?
Did Moyle tan it for you ?
Looks like a good job on the feet though !
A badger is on my list for a nice hide as well, never see them when they are prime it seems.
Yes, he went to Moyle. Have always been very happy with their work. Did the fur dressing, like usual. He was beautiful when he was dry, so I was really disappointed with the end result. Have always wanted a good prime badger.

. Have always wanted a good prime badger.

I've been looking for those all my life😂😂 Especially a 20 something one with a trust fund.

Last edited:
It may have been the handling before you received it. The area on the pelt that slipped may have been sitting in the sun for who knows how long. Or could have been laying where the fur slipped on a surface that trapped heat and damaged the hair follicles. Was there any greening going on from intestinal leakage on the flesh tissue you scrapped off?

It may have been the handling before you received it. The area on the pelt that slipped may have been sitting in the sun for who knows how long. Or could have been laying where the fur slipped on a surface that trapped heat and damaged the hair follicles. Was there any greening going on from intestinal leakage on the flesh tissue you scrapped off?

True. I’m not sure what all happened to it between him shooting it and bringing it to me. I didn’t see any green when I worked on it. But I do know it wasn’t particularly cold for December so it’s possible it got too warm.

Did it have guard hair there to start with? If it slipped there would be no hair in those spots. From what I can see you did nothing wrong.

When you scraped it, did you take the saddle off the back or leave it on? I’ve never done a badger, but I know this can make a difference. You can also flesh it too much and thin the leather so the hairs fall out. In the end, my guess is that either it sat too long prior to you skinning, or moyles did something wrong. I’ve sent dozens and dozens of hides to moyles and most of the time they do a good job. Actually a great job. But every now and again they get it wrong. They could have shaved the leather too thin as well. When you look at the leather side, does it look thin or can you see and hairs pulling through? I had a handful of beaver hides that I didn’t like the result on and called moyles to try and find out if I did something wrong. I seemed to notice a pattern of poor results if the hides were salted. They said there there’s no difference. Wish I had a definite answer. I’m sure someone with more experience than me will offer better thoughts on the matter.

When you scraped it, did you take the saddle off the back or leave it on? I’ve never done a badger, but I know this can make a difference. You can also flesh it too much and thin the leather so the hairs fall out. In the end, my guess is that either it sat too long prior to you skinning, or moyles did something wrong. I’ve sent dozens and dozens of hides to moyles and most of the time they do a good job. Actually a great job. But every now and again they get it wrong. They could have shaved the leather too thin as well. When you look at the leather side, does it look thin or can you see and hairs pulling through? I had a handful of beaver hides that I didn’t like the result on and called moyles to try and find out if I did something wrong. I seemed to notice a pattern of poor results if the hides were salted. They said there there’s no difference. Wish I had a definite answer. I’m sure someone with more experience than me will offer better thoughts on the matter.

Ok, this is interesting, because I did look at the leather side and it did seem thin to me, but I haven’t handled many badgers. It also seems a little “hacked on” for lack of a better term, and you can see individual large follicles on the back and the edges of some slice-like marks that weren’t there before. There were also a couple little holes that I don’t remember being there.

This is where my ignorance comes in, because I don’t really know anything about the tanning process and what all they do at the tannery once a pelt gets there. But I did feel like the leather side looked in kind of rougher shape than what I sent, and certainly not as nice as the coyotes I usually get back.

Thanks for the ideas everyone! Learned a few things to pay more attention to next time 😁

Sounds like maybe Moyle messed it up then, unless it was the handling before you got it.
They are usually great but things can happen.
Hopefully you'll get a chance at one this winter.

I always wondered if one could get some plastic tags like the cites ones that have your info on them . You could attach them to hides you valued more and send them in for tanning. Anyone know if Moyle's would take them or if they can be made for you ?

Badgers slip if you look at them wrong.

Its toss up between slipping, you just didnt notice it before shipping, ( very common), or a mix up, and you may have received a different badger than what you sent.

Sounds like maybe Moyle messed it up then, unless it was the handling before you got it.
They are usually great but things can happen.
Hopefully you'll get a chance at one this winter.

I always wondered if one could get some plastic tags like the cites ones that have your info on them . You could attach them to hides you valued more and send them in for tanning. Anyone know if Moyle's would take them or if they can be made for you ?
I just put a colored zip tie in a specific place. Moyles has sent me the wrong fur once and was able to get me the right one. Thy also sent me the complete wrong box once as well with a bunch of elk hides and other strange furs. They also straightened that out. Arguably the best way to mark your hides is with a fur stamp. It can be your initials at the base of the tail.

Ok, this is interesting, because I did look at the leather side and it did seem thin to me, but I haven’t handled many badgers. It also seems a little “hacked on” for lack of a better term, and you can see individual large follicles on the back and the edges of some slice-like marks that weren’t there before. There were also a couple little holes that I don’t remember being there.

This is where my ignorance comes in, because I don’t really know anything about the tanning process and what all they do at the tannery once a pelt gets there. But I did feel like the leather side looked in kind of rougher shape than what I sent, and certainly not as nice as the coyotes I usually get back.

Thanks for the ideas everyone! Learned a few things to pay more attention to next time 😁
I bet that’s what happened, the leather got too thin. If you call them, they will say it was you, but if you didn’t see the hair after drying, it was probably them. They use a circular knife to shave the leather down so it’s thinner and can be sewn. If someone takes a “hair” too much off the leather, it’s game over. That’s what happened with a bear I sent them. Tons of hair coming trough the back side. It for sure wasn’t that way when it went in. All the tanneries have issues. Moyles is still the best but can improve. Decent results with great northern fur in Wisconsin if you ever want to try another.

I bet that’s what happened, the leather got too thin. If you call them, they will say it was you, but if you didn’t see the hair after drying, it was probably them. They use a circular knife to shave the leather down so it’s thinner and can be sewn. If someone takes a “hair” too much off the leather, it’s game over. That’s what happened with a bear I sent them. Tons of hair coming trough the back side. It for sure wasn’t that way when it went in. All the tanneries have issues. Moyles is still the best but can improve. Decent results with great northern fur in Wisconsin if you ever want to try another.

Thanks for the info, and recommendation. Between my coyotes and then the wolves, foxes, a few other things we’ve sent to Moyle’s over the years, this is the first one that’s had any kind of problem. But I know I didn’t over-flesh it (I already learned that lesson the hard way once 🤭) and due to damage to one leg from the shot I know it’s the one I sent them.

Oh well. I have an antique pack on a wood frame I’ve been thinking of putting some hides in. Guess this one gets me going on that project.

152026B0-42FB-48EC-9738-2A1C579D87D6.jpeg

If the badger was taken in December it wasn't fully primed. So down the middle of the back isn't filled in. It's a nice colored badger.
Badgers prime usually fully in February and March. It's still a nice colored one and a nice wall hanger.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back