PEAX Equipment

Funny So Cal yote hunt

Tapout909

The hunt started like many others with my partner in crime, Brian. He just purchased a new FoxPro and man was I impressed. We posted up on a ridge slightly overlooking a clearing calling into a small valley which contained several game trails and a small ATV road.

Brian used the FoxPro (jack rabbit distress) and a jack in the box decoy. After only 2-3 minutes the yote came in from my right side down the dirt road, which not 5 minutes earlier a ATV traveled down (he never knew we were there). The yote came in hot, totally focused on the call/dec like someone rang the dinner bell.

I actually had to give a lil mouse squeek manually to take his attention off the call so I could get him to stop before he ate the dec. He paused, gave me a nice broadside shot, looked right at me and then his attention went right back to the dec. I then let the air outa him with my thunder stick (Kel-Tec Su-16A .223 55Gr PSP @ +/- 50 yds.)

Photo op time etc. We began the hike back to the rig (now its getting dark) and heard some small handgun fire CLOSE in our direction. We split up, took two seperate ridges to get a visual on the rig and found a group of 5 gang banger tough guy types shooting off what appeared to be a .25 throw away.

I wish I had a camera, they were taking turns firing at a target @ +/- 5 yds and cringing and ducking their heads each time they shot (holding the pistol sideways of course). After each tough guy made their shot they would get pumped and shout various slang slurs and taunting the vicious target.

Brian got the idea to put the FoxPro to use again. He just so happened to have a mountian lion call programed into the foxPro. We were behind the cover of very large rocks so were werent worried about being struck (like they could hit the broad side of a barn anyways). Brian let the call loose on full volume and pure comedy insued!

Tough guys 1 through 5 gathered close together and yelled at the "CAT" to see if it was just a person messing around. We didnt say a word. I saw one tough guy, I think he was their leader, he walked out past the others with the pistol and sat and listened to the call for a second. He turned around and told the others " O S*%T...ITS A PUMA EH!". He fired one round towards the general direction of the call (gun sideways and head down ofcourse) then ran back to the truck.

By this time the other 4 tough guys were crammed in the truck and took off like a bat out of hell! Brian and I laughed for about 15 minutes. One minute they were "thug life gangstas blastin caps in foos wit da gat" and the next they were scared as school girls of a "PUMA".

Well, if your not asleep from reading my novel of a story, here are some pics of the yote. Sorry, no pics of thugs running with soiled pantalones. :D

2007predators001-1.jpg

2007predators003.jpg

Reminds me of the time I was was driving home in the dark from a weekend deer hunt, and noticed a spotlight being panned along the ridge about a half mile or so ahead of me. I floored the old gutless Blazer, hit the highbeams and tried to catch up to the poachers and at least get a plate number.
I actually gained on them because I could corner a lot better. The fun stopped when one of the dirtbags waved a pistol out of a window (not really pointing it at me, just showing it), prompting me to get off the gas.
I thought about reaching back and uncasing the 7mag, loading up a sending some lead in their general direction, but thought better of it. Haven't killed anyone yet and didn't want to start a new trend, so I backed off. It was all pretty exciting and fun until they flashed the hardware.

One time an Old lady was driving slow and I puld up next to her, Flipped her off and drove off...... Not quiet the same but a bug did hit my windshield when I sped off ;)

Cool story and pics !!

I like the Kel-Tec alot. Has been a great gun for the money. I throw it in my backpack and take it hiking with me all the time. I like being able to fold and go an .223 more than my other fold and go (Henrys .22 survival).

The only problem I have had was the first time I went yote hunting with it. I got out of the truck, trying to be quiet and slowly worked the action to chamber the first round. When I went to take cake shot at a beautiful yote all I heard was.....click :BLEEP:

The Kel-Tecs dont have a forward assist so I had to work the action again and let it go all the way home. By this time he noticed me and hauled a$$.

The built in bi-pod looks week? But I like the price and would love to have a 223. Do you have any upgrades on your gun?

Thanks for the feed back

Kyle

Just the Nikon 3-9x40 Pro Staff scope.

The bi-pod allows for a lot of up/down and side/side movement. I like it.

Big plus is they accept Hi-Cap AR mags (Thermold worked the best for me).

The newer model (SU-16 CA) has a 1 1/2" shorter "match" style barrel and is threaded for extra goodies. Its also LEGAL in Kalifornia.

If your ever in Southern California drop me a line and you can put some rounds through it if you like.

Tapout909.

Great story and nice pics. It's good to see you hung around and still posting. Any plans to go back to Alaska and chase blacktails?

Only every day! I cant wait to go back. At first I thought it would be a once in a lifetime deal, then...once every ten years. Now, Im planning on going back in 2010.

Great site by the way! Ive been reading alot and learned alot too. I came across your guys vid on youtube the other day while searching for "Kodiak Island". Looks like you guys had a blast.

Only every day! I cant wait to go back. At first I thought it would be a once in a lifetime deal, then...once every ten years. Now, Im planning on going back in 2010.

Great site by the way! Ive been reading alot and learned alot too. I came across your guys vid on youtube the other day while searching for "Kodiak Island". Looks like you guys had a blast.
It was fun and I'm sure I'm going to be heading back within the next 5 years also. I'll probably go with a different outfit though. I need to get one of those guys with a bow.

By a different "outfit" I'm wondering if he means different hunting partner ?!?!?! :eek: :eek:
I was hoping it didn't sound like that but yep that's what I ment. :D No really, you're the only yahoo that is crazy enough to drop everything and go within a moments notice. That's typically how most of my hunts go. :)

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back