Yeti GOBOX Collection

FS: Cursed Leupold VX2 4-12x40

• Thread starter Deleted member 48080
  • Start date
I'd gladly pay a fraction of new price for something with a warranty on it. If it really doesn't hold 0, I'd have it fixed... If they said there was nothing wrong with it, I'd put a bunch of rounds through it and verify myself.

I can be extremely persuasive...

You know what? #*^@#* you guys.

My word is worth that little on here? I could have easily thrown away the paperwork and sold this scope elsewhere for almost twice as much. The money I took barely covers my gas, time and shipping to get it sent to AK. Then I get mocked for being too "scared" to use the scope on a hunting rifle?

Has this site seriously devolved to this?

Hey Randy, I don't know you or you me. My .02 worth is that a scope with a lifetime guarantee is almost worth what it was new. After sending it in for repairs, it should be "as new" from Leupold in my mind. Maybe I missed something but why would it be devalued after repair?

Hey Randy, I don't know you or you me. My .02 worth is that a scope with a lifetime guarantee is almost worth what it was new. After sending it in for repairs, it should be "as new" from Leupold in my mind. Maybe I missed something but why would it be devalued after repair?
Over on Rokslide, they have been testing scopes pretty rigorously for zero retention. I don't have any personal info on Leupold, my info comes from what I have read. Caveat emptor....

The way I understand, Leupold, like most manufacturers, does not require a scope to retain zero under impacts in their testing, only precision. This is sort of the dirty little secret of the riflescope industry. Only a few manufacturers require their optics to retain zero under impacts. So it's very possible that a scope can be sent in with a zero retention issue, and still pass their standards, as long as it still shoots a group of an acceptable size. The group center may have moved significantly, though.

Again, this is what I've been told. I have never personally owned a Leupold, but from what I have seen and read there will be no golden rings on any of my riflescopes. Once I started using really durable scopes my life became much simpler.

My word is worth that little on here?

I don’t see anybody questioning your word, I see several guys that are willing to take a $150 gamble that it’s still a decent scope. I’d be willing to take that chance. I’ve got plenty of time to mount it, do lots of shooting all spring and summer to see how it performs, then decide if I want to hunt with it.

To each their own. Just how I’m reading the situation.

Because he sent it in and Leupold said it was fine despite his own experience with it

I’ll take more @Randy11 posts on hunt talk over a lot of others that have joined lately

I didn’t read anything as a knock on OP either.

I’m guessing anyone who would’ve taken the time to mount it on anything other than a rimfire would be equally disappointed in their investment when it won’t hold zero.

My word is worth that little on here? I could have easily thrown away the paperwork and sold this scope elsewhere for almost twice as much. The money I took barely covers my gas, time and shipping to get it sent to AK. Then I get mocked for being too "scared" to use the scope on a hunting rifle?

I don’t think so, your choice to do what you want with your stuff. It was a good deal and one I would take in a heartbeat. If it acted up on me I would have just makes sure it would have been bad enough that had to fix or replace it.

The quality of your word has nothing to do with me wanting it.

Interesting that they don't guarantee for holding zero. I can now understand why Randy is pissed. Scenario, you zero it in on your .300 Weatherby mag. When you hunt it, you hit a tree.

Classic off season banter...All ya'll quit teasing Randy....Randy....don't worry what they do with it, sell it or keep it. :)

It was fun to joke about it being cursed though.

Maybe it's the start of a grand adventure for @Bambistew as the Kalahari Bushman from the Gods Must Be Crazy, trying to walk to the end of the earth to get rid of the cursed coke bottle that brought evil upon their village.

I believe you. This scope will not go on a hunt for anything besides grouse or bunnies. You're making me feel bad.

The world has evolved, people still by Vortex knowing full well it will fail, but its ok because it has a warranty.

Why wouldn't you give it a test? I seem to remember that Randy said he didn't mount it after it came back from Leupold?
Naw, why bother. If it failed once, who's to say it won't again? Sent in and checked out or not they didn't fix anything, there will always be that potential, IMO.

I certainly won't take on any trip here in AK where I want my chiz to be bulletproof. I've never had a leupold scope lose center in 30+ years of using them. Countless commercial flights, super cub trips, riding in trucks, ATVs, snowmachines, horses, backpacks, getting tossed to the ground off my shoulder, etc. . Never lost center, ever. I have probably 15-18 Leopold scopes in my safe right now. Cheap to expensive two are over 40 years old. One was last zeroed 15 years ago and many trips later its still zeroed as of a few weeks ago when I checked it.

If a scope lost zero, I won't trust it again, period. Sell it as new to some sap? Sure you could, or you could be honest about it like Randy. Only in America is there always someone looking to phuck someone over, and an honest guy is ridiculed. What if you paid $300 for it, and shot it and it wouldn't hold zero. Then Randy said, oh yeah BTW it didn't hold zero, but I sent it Leopold and they said it was fine. You'd blame him for cheating you and selling you a scope with a known issue? Again only in America...

I need a scope for my kids new 22, might be overkill, if so it may end up in the scope junk yard, or maybe I'll mount it on the 416 Taylor I'm building and destroy its ability to hold zero, or at least try?

I guess I'm more optimistic about Leupold. I still believe in the handshake. I still believe that a company with a good reputation is a good company. BUT!! It's his scope, now yours, to do as you see fit. Personally I would have trusted what Leupold said and I also would have done what Randy did and forewarned the new buyer. It seems that a standup guy and a standup company have a major disagreement.

Hard to know what to make of the Rokslide tests. Seems like if you stumble with your rifle in your hand, or slip and fall, essentially all scopes < $2K won't hold zero. And some scopes that cost $4K, ditto.

That just seems to attack common sense, similar to what @Bambistew said.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back