Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Frostbite

Akcabin

I'm reminded daily about the effects of frostbite as my face has a few spots n fingers just don't feel the same in the cold. I enjoy the winter months and have gotten myself into trouble a couple times, wish I would have done something about it before it happened.
I'm on a snogo regularly so a windchill factor has to be added in. That n the ability to quit ice fishing can be difficult. I've tried a couple of things like hand warmers but for whatever reason don't anymore.
Identifying frostbite conditions is important but something that I have trouble with. I'll own it. I know it's cold but like a kid, well you know. And correct treatment is crucial.
How do you all deal with cold conditions in regards to recognizing frostbite or frostbite conditions? And convince yourself it's time to go in ?

I have hunted in Temps as low as -10°F. I did this without hothands. Albeit dry conditions. It's all in the gloves for me. But even with good gloves when I begin to get cold( numbness in my extremities I call it and head to the truck or build a fire. At least take steps to warm myself.

Never really thought about it until the last few years. I'm 46 now and when I was younger I just thought I was cold. Now my right index finger and all the toes on my left foot get cold really easy to the point that it hurts. I believe it's from a frost bite issue.

When I was in my early 20’s and still putting my bags on I worked all day wether it was sunny, rainy, cold - whatever. Of course I looked super cool and tough in my ball cap, until the very top of my left ear turned black and peeled off a couple days later.

One of the old timers that worked for me pointed out that it was frostbite. Until that point I never thought it got cold enough in North Idaho to get frostbite… now I wear a beanie, and if the snot freezes in my nose, it’s to cold and I go work inside.

At 63, and fully aware that I am not bulletproof, it is very easy for me to admit it's time to call it a day. It was hard to get there - my brain still thought I was in my 20s or 30s. It's not worth getting hurt, or worse. Dressing proper, covering up even more than I think I need to, and being willing to set aside the task and call it quits for the day are my formula. I still have feet that don't like the cold from working on the family's marina in the wintertime, not worth doing worse. At least you recognize the "like a kid" part (I think of the blue kids in the water on Oregon beaches) - you simply have to be conscious and conservative.

went pheasant hunting with my 13 year old son yesterday. It was -21 degrees when we started. He didnt like the thickness of his glove on his trigger finger so went without a glove on that hand. Said as long as he kept it in a pocket some of the time he was fine. He is also the kid who wears shorts all year long. He just doesn't get cold very easily.

EF371A71-EE4F-424F-880B-5B8F1429652A.jpeg
F5E07D6C-989E-469D-B62E-06165B7C0C0E.jpeg

From 4 weeks ago. 3rd degree frostbite for the first time. Top pic callus is coming off today, bottom pic callus removed with deeper tissue damage shown.

20” snow, -4 temp. I was so pumped to hunt following a hiatus with the new baby arriving, and both pairs of my gaiters were unserviceable. I went without gaiters, and also didn’t take the time to lace my boots tight.

Snow got in boot tops, soaked my socks, and froze my big toes. My feet were cold, but only a little beyond uncomfortable. I was hiking and dressed lightly. My body temp dropped slightly, constricting blood flow to my toes. Inadequate hydration also reduced circulation.

I didn’t notice there was a problem until I took my socks off at home and my toes were gray. About 10 mins into a shower they thawed out and that’s when the pain hit.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back