From the sticks to the streets

The exact same thing happened to my wife and I when we tried to buy the acreage we were renting. We couldn't agree on a price so we bought a house in town. Its been 14 years - I miss some aspects of living on the acreage but you get used to it. Now we have 4 kids and I probably won't consider living out of town again until all my kids are gone, there is just so much travel with school, activities, and all the other things kid related that I wouldn't want all that extra drive time each day.

Most houses that would be affordable for us in our area would be on 5 acre lots with tons of other 5 acre lots around, which seems like a special kind of hell for me. 5 acres to maintain and you can't do shit with it.
Yah I've never understood that either although I only live on a just under 2 acres I don't have anyone else just crop fields so we can still shoot and kids can have some animals (not like when I was a kid but still I believe it helps teach you a lot of responsibility and work ethic) so many places we looked at were 5 acre lots only as wide as the house with neighbors on each side....told the wife I don't get it why would I want to maintain not to mention pay for all that, not be able to shoot and still have a neighbor literally as close as in town? Makes zero sense to me.

Last edited:
Yah I've never understood that either although I only live on a justbunder 2 acres I don't have anyone else just crop fields so we can still shoot and kids can have some animals (not like when I was a kid but still I believe it helps teach you a lot of responsibility and work ethic) so many places we looked at were 5 acre lots onlybas wide as the house with neighbors on each side....told the wife I don't get it why would I want to maintain not to mention pay for all that, not be able to shoot and still have a neighbor literally as close as in town? Makes zero sense to me.

One of my "needs" to move out of town is a 200 yard shooting range. Really shortens the list and increases the price on properties.

Congratulations on your new home and with the small town atmosphere it should be nice. I live in a town of about 20,000 with very little crime, in a 1900 sq. ft. duplex with no basement. But just in case, the .38 special has five rounds in it.

I appreciate the input. The best news is that I will still have my hunting spots 20 min away instead of 10 min. The worst will be not having the room to walk outside and train the dog. But it will be a short ride to get a training session in.

The year I met my late wife I moved from a rental on a ranch property in Eastern Montana to Seattle and then a year later here to a city of 110K in 1989. No problem for me. Our street is a block long and all older small homes (e.g. mine built in 1929 is 800 sq ft + finished basement and separate 1.5 garage on 75x150' lot). City bylaw enforcement keeps living very tolerable. Just respect your neighbors and you should do fine. I have the funds now to buy a real ranch in Montana but I'm okay with staying here. You have your family. You'll do just fine. Don't worry.

Some of the best training is teaching my dogs to walk off leash under control on city streets. Will be leaving the house when I finish writing this. I usually wait till late at night. If your dogs aren't living in the house, they should be. Better for neighbors and for them and for you when hunting season starts.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back