Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Friday Tunage about open space.

@Randi re Hotel Cali
..from wiki

The song has been described as being "all about American decadence and burnout, too much money, corruption, drugs and arrogance; too little humility and heart." It has also been interpreted as an allegory about hedonism, self-destruction, and greed in the music industry of the late 1970s.

"The House of the Rising Sun" is a traditional folk song, sometimes called "Rising Sun Blues". It tells of a person's life gone wrong in the city of New Orleans; many versions also urge a sibling or parents and children to avoid the same fate.

There are generational meanings attachment also...example; However, the song struck a chord with the troops in Vietnam and formed an indelible association with that conflict.

Good questions...

@Randi re Hotel Cali
..from wiki

The song has been described as being "all about American decadence and burnout, too much money, corruption, drugs and arrogance; too little humility and heart." It has also been interpreted as an allegory about hedonism, self-destruction, and greed in the music industry of the late 1970s.

"The House of the Rising Sun" is a traditional folk song, sometimes called "Rising Sun Blues". It tells of a person's life gone wrong in the city of New Orleans; many versions also urge a sibling or parents and children to avoid the same fate.

There are generational meanings attachment also...example; However, the song struck a chord with the troops in Vietnam and formed an indelible association with that conflict.

Good questions...
thank you. I ask my grandfather right after making my post this a.m. and he said he always thought Hotel California and House of the Rising Sun were about losing innocence and after you do, not being able to ever return to it. He also mentioned other songs about prostitution, Bobby Gentry. Fancy ( which surprised me as I always thought that was an original Reba song ) and Elton John, Island Girl and Painted Lady.

He also ask me why I was so interested in prostitution o_O:ROFLMAO:

a long as you wear a face mask, own a 6.5 creed and dont try to cross into Canada , you will be fine ;)

Those two songs are the easy ones, ask your grandfather, noharleyyet, trade wind, ben lamb, 44hunter45, elk duds, 2rocky, hilljackoutlaw, others --to explain American Pie to you and how a song from the Beatles became part of the lyrics. Actually, there has to be three, maybe four different inferences in this song, but I like it.:)

a long as you wear a face mask, own a 6.5 creed and dont try to cross into Canada , you will be fine ;)

Those two songs are the easy ones, ask your grandfather, noharleyyet, trade wind, ben lamb, 44hunter45, elk duds, 2rocky, hilljackoutlaw, others --to explain American Pie to you and how a song from the Beatles became part of the lyrics. Actually, there has to be three, maybe four different inferences in this song, but I like it.:)
When asked what the lyrics to American Pie mean, Don McLean's short answer is, "it means I never have to work again."

Question for the music crowd

I enjoy a lot of the music that was popular when my parents were young, even some songs from my grandparents era, but a couple of songs still leave me wondering what they are referring to in the song.

i.e. The Animals in The House of the Rising Sun, is a song I like and I believe it is talking about gambling and prostitution. However I wanted to ask those of you who enjoy music and post on these threads: Is Hotel California also about prostitution and drugs ? The line " you can check out but never leave, makes me think of a drug addict who can get clean but has to steer clear of drugs the rest of his/her life .

thanks
Yes it is.
I believe Henley wrote a sequel about getting out

thank you. I ask my grandfather right after making my post this a.m. and he said he always thought Hotel California and House of the Rising Sun were about losing innocence and after you do, not being able to ever return to it. He also mentioned other songs about prostitution, Bobby Gentry. Fancy ( which surprised me as I always thought that was an original Reba song ) and Elton John, Island Girl and Painted Lady.

One of the best songs about prostitution is Mandy Lane by the original Chad Mitchell Trio. Maybe I'll post it some Friday if it is topical, like during an election.

Well I'm goin' out west
Where the wind blows tall
'Cause Tony Franciosa
Used to date my ma
They got some money out there
They're giving it away
I'm gonna do what I want
Do what I want
And I'm gonna get paid

Little brown sausages
Lying in the sand
I ain't no extra baby