Fresh Tracks+

Some of you have probably already seen these videos, but in the last week we launched three videos of the history of our platforms, what principles got us to where we are today, and where we are going.

It would be nice if you could archive all your trials and tribulations. As a business historian I can tell you just how rare it is to find a good complete collection of business records (including correspondence). This field of business will be of keen interest to historians and writers ... and not so far in the future I think.

I'm not very clear about all the tech lingo. What exactly is demonetization? I don't understand that whole censorship thing with YouTube. Sorry for being so ignorant. But inquiring mind wants to know.

Good luck with this huge step. Sounds like a bit of a gamble. But hey, that's what hunting is all about. Discovery. Or one can choose to set in a structured blind and wait for something to happen. Good on you guys for being stalkers.

It would be nice if you could archive all your trials and tribulations. As a business historian I can tell you just how rare it is to find a good complete collection of business records (including correspondence). This field of business will be of keen interest to historians and writers ... and not so far in the future I think.

I'm not very clear about all the tech lingo. What exactly is demonetization? I don't understand that whole censorship thing with YouTube. Sorry for being so ignorant. But inquiring mind wants to know.

Good luck with this huge step. Sounds like a bit of a gamble. But hey, that's what hunting is all about. Discovery. Or one can choose to set in a structured blind and wait for something to happen. Good on you guys for being stalkers.

Cliffs Notes version of Youtube's financial program:
YT charges companies to place their ads in videos. Ads are automatically embedded into videos uploaded by people like Randy (as far as I know, the uploader has no control over which ads are embedded into the video by YT - that's a whole 'nother can of worms re: 'Privacy' that Randy mentioned). The more views/likes/subscribers the video gets, the more the uploader (Randy) gets paid for attracting users to YouTube to see the ads.
What is happening, though, is if YT doesn't 'approve' of the content in the video (apparently hunting, game processing, etc. is frowned up by the YT overlords), they can 'demonetize' the video which means that they will play it, but the uploader (Randy) doesn't get a cut of the Ad revenue. AND, because the video is demonetized, it falls to a lower rank (or completely off the scale) for the algorithm that runs to 'suggest' videos to watchers. So when a new viewer is just browsing YouTube, they never see the video listed in the "You may also like..." suggestions. So if your video is never getting suggested, then new people never see it unless they search for it specifically. So while they're not actively censoring the video by modifying the content or just deleting it outright, they are pseudo-censoring it by demonetizing it and burying it in their algorithm so that nobody ever sees it unless they search for it.

Cliffs Notes version of Youtube's financial program:
YT charges companies to place their ads in videos. Ads are automatically embedded into videos uploaded by people like Randy (as far as I know, the uploader has no control over which ads are embedded into the video by YT - that's a whole 'nother can of worms re: 'Privacy' that Randy mentioned). The more views/likes/subscribers the video gets, the more the uploader (Randy) gets paid for attracting users to YouTube to see the ads.
What is happening, though, is if YT doesn't 'approve' of the content in the video (apparently hunting, game processing, etc. is frowned up by the YT overlords), they can 'demonetize' the video which means that they will play it, but the uploader (Randy) doesn't get a cut of the Ad revenue. AND, because the video is demonetized, it falls to a lower rank (or completely off the scale) for the algorithm that runs to 'suggest' videos to watchers. So when a new viewer is just browsing YouTube, they never see the video listed in the "You may also like..." suggestions. So if your video is never getting suggested, then new people never see it unless they search for it specifically. So while they're not actively censoring the video by modifying the content or just deleting it outright, they are pseudo-censoring it by demonetizing it and burying it in their algorithm so that nobody ever sees it unless they search for it.
Thanks for explaining that.

I think the website is awesome! I signed up on day 1. I look forward to the apps, do you plan to have an appletv app?

Haha! I do recall hearing about never paying full retail!! Lol, all in fun. Definitely will check out the new platform.

RANDY, long time since we've chatted. I signed on for a year to help out. You've done good pilgrim. LOL
Sorry , I love that expression
I look forward to your adventures.
Dave Hawksford

I am in. If a couple more content creators would go this route I could all but completely wash my hands of YT with no loss of entertainment incurred.

I noticed that another content creator that I follow (Expedition Overland xoverland.com) announced last week that their upcoming season release in a couple of weeks will be on their own private subscription-based platform as well. I can't imagine that the conglomerate that MeatEater has become isn't working on something behind the curtains as well. Maybe the tides are beginning to turn.

Waiting for our Starlink dish to arrive and then it will be FT+ marathon time.

Our current satellite ISP just makes you want to throw bricks when you try to stream anything

Is it not enough that you are being paid by my local game agency to hunt in our state with their personnel. Now you would like me to pay for a subscription service to watch you do it. All while eroding the opportunities that exist in my state through relentless promotion to non-residents of a limited resource.

Thanks. But no thanks.

Starlink is the one internet provider I haven’t tried out here in the boonies. Interested in how it does for you…

We will! Eventually there will be apps for Apple TV (our team got the first preview of this on Friday), Roku, Amazon Fire, Android TV, and Android and iOS mobile.
The only device that I use to watch streaming on my TV is my son's X-Box. Sorry for my ignorance on how streaming works, but can one of the apps you listed be used on X-Box to access your content?

The only device that I use to watch streaming on my TV is my son's X-Box. Sorry for my ignorance on how streaming works, but can one of the apps you listed be used on X-Box to access your content?
Unfortunately not. There is a chance we can get to it in the future but there is nothing currently in the works. I know your pain - my primary streaming device is my Playstation 4 so I had to buy a few devices to be able to test the apps we're building.

Unfortunately not. There is a chance we can get to it in the future but there is nothing currently in the works. I know your pain - my primary streaming device is my Playstation 4 so I had to buy a few devices to be able to test the apps we're building.
I'm looking forward to the Apps (and directions on how to use them 🙂)

I tried to access the site via the web browser on my TV and it gets me logged in fine but the episodes won't play. I'm not one to watch on a laptop or my phone, so being able to watch on TV is important to me. My TV's browser must not be compatible or something 🤷

20210908_211733.jpg

Subscribed for the year. Worked perfectly on AirPlay.

You should see if you can partner with Corey and add an option to access his content for a couple extra bucks.

Last edited:
Is it not enough that you are being paid by my local game agency to hunt in our state with their personnel. Now you would like me to pay for a subscription service to watch you do it. All while eroding the opportunities that exist in my state through relentless promotion to non-residents of a limited resource.

Thanks. But no thanks.

1631202711820.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back