Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Fresh Tracks Lessons Learned?

Not Broadway Joe

Hi Everyone, I am just now getting into the last available season of Fresh Tracks on Amazon.

I am curious what lessons, tips or tricks have you learned from watching the episodes?

Here's my top 3:
Hike less, glass more (and invest in a lightweight tripod).

Build more fires so you can glass more/later in the season.

Get a pair of deerskin chopper mitts! (Cause standing around is cold!)

I think the biggest thing I have learned is to take more pride in hunting public lands. Yeah it gets really frustrating and I've definitely been in the rut of wishing I could hunt on private land. But when I do get my first public land archery elk, it's going to feel so great.
I definitely hunt in too thick of area to hike less and glass more. Gotta roll with what you have!

I learned that I didn't need to be a wealthy or a landowner to hunt, as well as practical ways to make it happen. I have also learned plenty about how to be successful, what kind of gear is necessary, and lots of other small details. I am still working my way through the OYOA on YouTube Fresh Tracks is on the list, now that I am spending a lot more time in the field, it has slowed down my viewing. Thanks BigFin!

I learned how much TSA can screw up your plans.
My brother flies to Montana from Florida every fall to hunt and we cross our fingers Everytime. No issues yet (knock on wood), and we have entertained him leaving his Western big game gear here, but that's costly to have multiple sets..

I've learned that you can get by on Blizzards, Donuts, and Peanut Butter M&Ms. You don't need heavily marketed supplements to kill stuff...

Back to back DQ references! I hear Big Finn get chided for that on all the podcasts, but haven't really seen it on Fresh Tracks.

Maybe one day we will get a video of one of Randy's epic take downs of a trophy Dilly Bar!

My brother flies to Montana from Florida every fall to hunt and we cross our fingers Everytime. No issues yet (knock on wood), and we have entertained him leaving his Western big game gear here, but that's costly to have multiple sets..

35 second... my worst nightmare

One lesson I learned....no matter where you go with Randy, someone's going to recognize him :p

Hi John, just saw your cameo last night on the SE MT deer bonanza! Thank you for your service to our country.

Do people just come pouring out of the wood works in Broadus when Randy is in town?

I have learned a lot about the different option there are for public land diy hunts. But hunt specific tips I found helpful is Randy's guide to finding elk based on the 5 periods of the elk calender (early season, pre-rut, peak rut, post rut, late season). If you can understand these 5 periods and the effect it has on elk behavior you will successfully get into elk every year.

I’ve learned how to enjoy hunt not just the 4 or 5 days I’m there, but with e scouting months beforehand. We’ll see if it pays off in a few weeks!

I've learned to try hunting pronghorn and how to apply in multiple states! This will be my first time

The Wyoming (or Montana) winter range mule deer rifle hunt episode comes to mind.

How Randy and crew treated those locals, who then brought him donuts, and then helped glass up a huge buck really showed & reinforced the ethos of Western hunting.

THAT’S how’s we should all aspire to act in the field.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back