Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

"Free" Hunting Fool with OnX

Now that is useful info. Is it just embedded in the monthly mag?
Yes, they cover each state over the course of the year and you can see which units are within reach for your point levels based on historical draw odds. They also cover opportunity hunts which might not require any points.

I’ve been paying for OnX and GoHunt for several years. After trying Huntin Fool, I will continue to pay for OnX and GoHunt. Huntin Fool seemed cumbersome and inferior to GoHunt except for being able to call tagholders. The places I hunt, that likely won’t help as most people wouldn’t take a dry call about an otc unit. The are a few exceptions on here that will help offline if they trust your reputation but that is completely different in my opinion.

I’ve been paying for OnX and GoHunt for several years. After trying Huntin Fool, I will continue to pay for OnX and GoHunt. Huntin Fool seemed cumbersome and inferior to GoHunt except for being able to call tagholders. The places I hunt, that likely won’t help as most people wouldn’t take a dry call about an otc unit. The are a few exceptions on here that will help offline if they trust your reputation but that is completely different in my opinion.
Very good points. I was a member of Hunting Fool for one year back in 2010 and did not renew because I was not yet at a phase in my hunting career when I could leverage the information. I was also a member of GoHunt from 2017-2020 and only canceled because I am living overseas for 3 years. GoHunt’s filtering tool is far superior to Hunting Fool’s website. That said, picking up the useful aspects of Hunting Fool through an onX elite membership is a bonus. It is evident HF is working to improve their user friendliness in filtering information, so it may get better. I will see how things go with HF over the next couple of years and decide whether or not GoHunt is a worthwhile additional expenditure then.

Listening to a recent Backcountry Hunter podcast the CEO of Hunting Fool explained that 6 months of their magazine is focused on difficult to draw units in each state, and the other 6 months is focused on opportunity scenarios to get people out hunting sooner rather than later.

Thanks for that insight!

Does anyone know if we have access to HuntinFools previous tag holder lists with the OnX subscription? I’ve made my free account with huntinfool and can’t seem to find it

They only send you the list if you opt in to be contacted by others in the future and have actually drawn the tag.
Or if yo just 'say' you drew cuz you want the list bad enough. ;)

Utility of the list of names and phone numbers is marginal to medium at best in my extensive experience using it. Always amazed when I draw a primo tag how many guys best advice is some dang motel they thought was great. And those guys wanna keep you on the line all evening for no useful reason I can figure. Also get some pretty decent intel but a lot of chaff to sort through to get there. To be fair, have had a lot of great hunting discussions with some super serious hunters come from the list as well.

Or if yo just 'say' you drew cuz you want the list bad enough. ;)

Utility of the list of names and phone numbers is marginal to medium at best in my extensive experience using it. Always amazed when I draw a primo tag how many guys best advice is some dang motel they thought was great. And those guys wanna keep you on the line all evening for no useful reason I can figure. Also get some pretty decent intel but a lot of chaff to sort through to get there. To be fair, have had a lot of great hunting discussions with some super serious hunters come from the list as well.
The call list worked great for me once in 2008. I tried it again a few years later and it is more like you describe and I ended my subscription. It's great to get good information but bad information can cost some valuable days in the field if your not careful. I think there's going to be a lot more people calling for the list now and former tag holders may be less likely to give information.

Im struggling to find out where I get my free hunting fool account with my elite membership. Am I blind? lol how do I get to it?

Im struggling to find out where I get my free hunting fool account with my elite membership. Am I blind? lol how do I get to it?
You need to click on the option at this link and establish an account with Hunting Fool. When you click on the Hunting Fool logo, it will automatically populate that you are an elite member of onX and the expiration date of your Hunting Fool web based membership will mirror the expiration date of your onX Elite membership.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back