"Free" Hunting Fool with OnX

It’s basically a free $36. If you want an extra research tool then use it and if you don’t then that’s your choice.

The consolidation of tag and mapping services continues. What are your thoughts on the value of this combination?

That’s definitely a good value. Huntin Fool’s most valuable attribute is the previous tag holder list in my opinion.

It’s basically a free $36. If you want an extra research tool then use it and if you don’t then that’s your choice.
Isn't the web based membership for Hunting Fool $48/year? I am unsure what you are referring to that is $36. Not a big difference, but I'm just trying to fully understand the value picture between the two services combined so want to make sure I understand correctly.

Isn't the web based membership for Hunting Fool $48/year? I am unsure what you are referring to that is $36. Not a big difference, but I'm just trying to fully understand the value picture between the two services combined so want to make sure I understand correctly.
It might be. I bought it last year for $36. It may have been on sale.

It was $3/month for a while.
Their magazine is nice and pleasurable to read, they use Toprut odds which is also nice, but their mapping is terrible.

It was $3/month for a while.
Their magazine is nice and pleasurable to read, they use Toprut odds which is also nice, but their mapping is terrible.
Very interesting that Hunting Fool uses Toprut for their odds. That is the first time I have heard that. So do they pay Toprut for the data? I'm curious to hear how they are affiliated.

I've gathered that Hunting Fool's entrance into the mapping arena has had some growing pains (so has GoHunt). Seems like it might be a logical partnership between Hunting Fool and OnX to leverage each other's strengths.

No idea how they set up their collaboration. Steve has worked his tail off getting Toprut where it is and I think it's great.

Instead of trying to reinvent the mapping wheel, just create overlays for Google Earth ala Huntinggpsmaps Plat4GE product that continues to work flawlessly in G.E. Pro. All the hunting map products have a "web map" component but are worthless without internet. Google Earth works just fine as all the overlays are resident on the local pc. Creating a SAT Imagery overlay completes the package, and it'll all work with and without internet. Export the data and use a synching app to get it to the phone.

No idea how they set up their collaboration. Steve has worked his tail off getting Toprut where it is and I think it's great.

Instead of trying to reinvent the mapping wheel, just create overlays for Google Earth ala Huntinggpsmaps Plat4GE product that continues to work flawlessly in G.E. Pro. All the hunting map products have a "web map" component but are worthless without internet. Google Earth works just fine as all the overlays are resident on the local pc. Creating a SAT Imagery overlay completes the package, and it'll all work with and without internet. Export the data and use a synching app to get it to the phone.
but... i dont know how. LOL

Wow I just lost my mind
I still use road atlas to travel.lol

So I just poked around HF's website. What exactly is their purpose? I couldn't easily find anything I value there, but maybe one of your guys can fill me in on what I'm missing.

Huntin Fool was the first "hunt recommendation" service. Garth Carter started it in 1995 as a newsletter then grew to a print mag as they added hunt stories and advertising. It's core service was/is unique in that it recommends the best units to hunt, different than say the newer goHunt model that provides unit data rather than recommendations.

How much impact does HF have on units. Is it needed to see what units not to consider? I am trying to figure out if I should get this "free feature" onX costs me $49.99 a year for elite membership(all 50 states). I think I saw that it would cost 89.99 if I got this. Would be nice not to have to pay $150 bucks for gohunt and get draw odds.

Huntin Fool was the first "hunt recommendation" service. Garth Carter started it in 1995 as a newsletter then grew to a print mag as they added hunt stories and advertising. It's core service was/is unique in that it recommends the best units to hunt, different than say the newer goHunt model that provides unit data rather than recommendations.
So if you don't have max points what is the point of knowing what the "best units" are?

Exaclty @neffa3 for example, what if you are dirtfloorpoor like me, and have a pennypinching wife, so you have 0 points anywhere but your homestate, where you should just...KNOW the best units already? Will it have a function to tell you the best OTC units or something?

The coolest part is you don't have to use the free product, you can just bitch about it. 😁

I had HF for a few years and enjoyed it and learned quite a bit. Lapsed it about 10 years ago.

Not sure if I have much use for this free version, but it will only cost me what I payed for it.

Listening to a recent Backcountry Hunter podcast the CEO of Hunting Fool explained that 6 months of their magazine is focused on difficult to draw units in each state, and the other 6 months is focused on opportunity scenarios to get people out hunting sooner rather than later.

The coolest part is you don't have to use the free product, you can just bitch about it. 😁

I had HF for a few years and enjoyed it and learned quite a bit. Lapsed it about 10 years ago.

Not sure if I have much use for this free version, but it will only cost me what I payed for it.
touché

Back