Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Four bearded fools on a Blue Ribbon adventure

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
It was raining the next morning. I was bummed Rich had to go. I still had another week off, but in all honesty it was a mental struggle. I missed my family and was contemplating going home. I drove into town with Rich and we had chicken fried steaks for a send off breakfast.

I drove back to camp in the rain. I donned my rain gear and set out on an old fire trail a local guide told us about. Rain came down in buckets. I saw a couple whitetail deer, but no elk. By midday I dropped into this basin.

View attachment 155430

I realized I had watched fall transform the mountains. It was no longer summer. I finally heard a bugle. It was faint and I wondered if I was hallucinating. I worked down the ridge. I paid homage to the whitetail who lost this.

View attachment 155431

I finally heard the bull late in the afternoon. Thermals were doing weird stuff, so I opted to back out and come in very early the next day.

Friday I left the truck early. I was in the old burn well before daybreak and sat down to listen. Finally, just after sunrise I heard the bull chuckling again. I started moving slowly through the burn.

I stepped up onto a giant deadfall, probably waist high and 16-18” in diameter. I looked to my right and saw a bedded cow at about 70 yards. The wind was in my face. I knew I couldn’t get down because the alders were too tall. Finn was on the same log and I whispered to put him into a down stay on the log. I chambered a round, as I no longer carry hot @Big Fin.

She got nervous and stood up, then another, and another, till finally six elk were milling around. They started to line out of though the timber. I could see several small bulls. The last one stopped to look back. I settled the crosshairs and pressed the trigger. The .280 barked.

Mayhem ensued. I immediately chambered another round. I could see the bull lunge up the hill and I knew it was a good hit. I saw a spike run over the ridge, and in disbelief wondered it that was the elk I shot.

I immediately found blood where I had shot the bull. With Finn by me, we started work the blood track up the hill.

This should dispel the myth copper bullets don’t leave a good blood trail.

View attachment 155437

We continued up the hill for about 15 yards and the blood seemed to stop. I looked to my left and saw this.

View attachment 155438

No gummy bears.

View attachment 155440

At 6:40, I notched my tag. This knife was a birthday present from Ted on my 40th birthday.

View attachment 155439

I’m not going to lie, I was as excited and emotional about this spike as the biggest bull I’ve ever shot. I was sad Ted or Rich weren’t there with me. I had really hoped to pack elk for them and not myself.

Knowing rain was in the forecast, I got with the program. I had him processed and bagged in an hour and a half.

View attachment 155441

I decided to three trip him.

View attachment 155442

The Toyota hauled its first kill and I cracked a PBR for Rich.

View attachment 155443

I hate breaking camp solo, but I had another PBR and got to work. With the rain, I’ll have some serious gear cleaning to do.

Leave only tracks, and maybe some firewood.

View attachment 155444

The end.
Happy 40th, I'm a big fan of the .280. It's gonna be my go to up here in the panhandle this year. Congrats on the Elk.

Great hunt and thanks for sharing ! 16 oz. PBR 3 packs were $0.95 when I was in high school. Many were purchased on my way to the barn for chores !!

Very well done as always, I got one complaint though..... that's clearly not enough beer for a multi day adventure especially with good friends. Maybe I drink too much beer I dunno..... congrats on your adventure!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back