Fort Bragg (AKA Liberty) NC Hunting

USAF Ret

Not sure if this is the right forum to post. I am hunting Ft Bragg NC this year. My first year doing this. I am going to try and make black powder at the end of the month, but rifle season for sure. I am 90% disabled and scouting has its limitations. Not asking for welfare or feeling sorry, but if anyone hunts Bragg and you could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Check out OnX hunt or OnHunt (has its own forum here)

Check out OnX hunt or OnHunt (has its own forum here)
I just ordered the app. Pretty good mil discount. I have maps of the hunting areas, so I can use the terrain feature to find possible locations. Appreciate it.

It's been a while, things may have changed, but I always liked NTA areas up north, but there's deer all over BRAGG. I'd pull up satellite photos and find any stands of oak to hunt once the acorns start falling

It's been a while, things may have changed, but I always liked NTA areas up north, but there's deer all over BRAGG. I'd pull up satellite photos and find any stands of oak to hunt once the acorns start falling
Thanks. I am looking at the OnX map. Hard to distinguish the oak trees. I am finding some open patches with grass. I wanted to go scouting today, but it is supposed to hit close to 100. Archery season starts Monday, so I may just have to do afternoon hunts and try to explore with a climber.

Thanks. I am looking at the OnX map. Hard to distinguish the oak trees. I am finding some open patches with grass. I wanted to go scouting today, but it is supposed to hit close to 100. Archery season starts Monday, so I may just have to do afternoon hunts and try to explore with a climber.
If you are allowed to drive the roads and scout, you can usually find oak stands from the roads, there's road everywhere. Wish I was still in NC, I'd go with you, was always fond of hunting on Bragg.

Bragg was so full of cleared out pines that any creek areas or low areas that have runs of thicker vegetation will be used by deer as travel lanes. Find trees that overlook those thick lanes and you'll probably find deer.

Go into trees and crop layer and select acorn producing oaks...should help narrow it down.

"Fort Liberty"....smh

If you are allowed to drive the roads and scout, you can usually find oak stands from the roads, there's road everywhere. Wish I was still in NC, I'd go with you, was always fond of hunting on Bragg.

Bragg was so full of cleared out pines that any creek areas or low areas that have runs of thicker vegetation will be used by deer as travel lanes. Find trees that overlook those thick lanes and you'll probably find deer.
I can. I am drilling down on maps and I can see the oak groves. I also see the edges of Juniper Creek might be good as it is sides by oaks.

I think what I will do is just pick 2-3 areas and focus on making waypoints for open ground spots and oaks. If I get an open area, use the OnX to move in there.

I appreciate the help. Been here 5 years. Had a lot going on in life and have not really had the ability nor the drive to get out. My son passed 2 years ago and been hard to do anything. I kind of feel like he is pushing me this year.

I have a muzzleloader coming in so I can try to capitalize on an extra 2 weeks plus hunting when there has been little pressure, just from archery hunters. However, with all the training and troop movement, I am sure these deer aren't phased by much.

I can. I am drilling down on maps and I can see the oak groves. I also see the edges of Juniper Creek might be good as it is sides by oaks.

I think what I will do is just pick 2-3 areas and focus on making waypoints for open ground spots and oaks. If I get an open area, use the OnX to move in there.

I appreciate the help. Been here 5 years. Had a lot going on in life and have not really had the ability nor the drive to get out. My son passed 2 years ago and been hard to do anything. I kind of feel like he is pushing me this year.

I have a muzzleloader coming in so I can try to capitalize on an extra 2 weeks plus hunting when there has been little pressure, just from archery hunters. However, with all the training and troop movement, I am sure these deer aren't phased by much.
I'm so sorry, hopefully you find a little peace in the woods this year

The NC chapter of back country hunters and anglers has a couple of people who frequent Bragg. Marty Bartram was born there and is the Armed forces initiative coordinator. You can try to contact them via the nc chapter page.

The NC chapter of back country hunters and anglers has a couple of people who frequent Bragg. Marty Bartram was born there and is the Armed forces initiative coordinator. You can try to contact them via the nc chapter page.
Thank you very much!

Big thanks. This is what the forum is all about. Got hooked up with Marty and the other folks. Not only got good hunting info, but will be helping their organization this fall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back