Formal introduction time

Hunting Wife

I'm a frequent observer here, and sometimes poster when something gets me inspired or gets me fired up. I initially found my way here searching for other women who hunt, and got hooked on the sense of camaraderie and (mostly) quality discussions I found. I suppose it's about time for a real introduction, so here goes nothing...

I've lived in the west all my life. Grew up in a hunting family, but as a girl wasn't encouraged to hunt myself until the man in my life came along and "created a monster" (his words). Have been very fortunate to have some wonderful, patient, knowledgeable mentors along the way who have fostered a real appreciation for the land, the wildlife and the hunt. They have shaped so much of who I am personally and professionally today. I appreciate logic, good science and constructive discussions, and have no patience for unethical, untruthful or self-serving folks of any stripe.

My first love is big game hunting. I don't have the patience to sit still, so spot and stalk is my game. For me, the experience is the trophy and antlers are secondary. I had trouble getting into bird hunting until a dog changed my life - I found that nothing improves wing shooting ability more than a dog scoffing at your misses! My hunting bucket list is topped by bighorn sheep and caribou. Hopefully some day I'll be lucky enough to experience those. Until then I live vicariously through all of you!

Other joys in my life are photography (here's a pic for those who enjoy such things), good books, and cooking all the tasty game we bring home. Glad to hear from those with similar interests, and here's to many more interesting discussions.

Attachments

• Pheasant small.jpg
    Pheasant small.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 601
Welcome!

I really dig that picture.

Based on your comment above and some of your previous posts, I'd be interested in knowing what you do as a profession.

Not really a welcome as you have posted but thanks for the intro. I have read your posts before and enjoy them. I'm trying to broaden my horizons a bit as I have a daughter that is dead set on doing everything her brothers do, so I enjoy reading post from ladies that hunt because I hope to be able to relate to her with hunting and fishing the way I do with the boys. Thanks for helping and welcome.

Not really a welcome as you have posted but thanks for the intro. I have read your posts before and enjoy them. I'm trying to broaden my horizons a bit as I have a daughter that is dead set on doing everything her brothers do, so I enjoy reading post from ladies that hunt because I hope to be able to relate to her with hunting and fishing the way I do with the boys. Thanks for helping and welcome.

Sounds like me once upon a time. When it came to fishing and shooting, my dad treated me exactly the same as my brothers. I wish hunting had been the same, and I'm still not sure why it wasn't. I was at least given a foundation in the outdoors, and for that I am grateful.

Funny thing though... today neither of my brothers hunt.

I work in wildlife. Yep, for *GASP* the government. Cue ominous music now. ;)
I thought that may be the case. Professionally, we aren't that far apart. I'm an ecologist for Uncle Sam. I get along well with wildlife biologists, except with they correct my speech/grammar! To me it is a Canadian goose... ;)

Back