Caribou Gear

Ford 3.5L EcoBoost

I have a 2016 F-150 with the 3.5L EcoBoost, great truck! I tow quite a bit with it, including through the mountains and I have never had any problems. I actually walk right up the steep mountain grades passing V8's like hey are standing still (even while towing). The torque and horsepower are fantastic and in sport mode it becomes an angry little donkey and is super fun to drive!

Also have the 2016 3.5 Eco and love it. Almost at 100K miles and only issue was a throttle body which took 30 minutes to replace.

I have a 2018 with the 2.7 Ecoboost and 10 speed tranny. on an elk hunt in 2018, I got 21 MPG to CO & back with 4 guys & gear. I tow a 27 ft Pioneer camper - about 7500 #, goes like a dream! Could tow circles around my 5.4 L F150 I traded in with 4 speed tranny. 40,000 miles, tires still good (but have sucked always in NY snow), and no problems....

2016 3.5 Ecoboost. I bought it with 40k miles and it has 85k on it now. I replaced the brakes but otherwise I have had a single issue with it. I love it. All of my previous trucks (Chevys) burned oil. This one doesn’t burn a drop. I get 17-18 mpg summer and 15-16 mpg winter. This is hand calculated. The computer lies.

Last edited:
I just purchased one early March, a 2013 Screw with 6.5' box with 80k on it; i really wanted the 5.0 due to the timing chain issues, but since this one came with a lifetime powertrain warranty, i bit the bullet. I really love the power. BUT I did start getting a inconsistent timing chain symptom after 4 weeks of owning it-after tons of research on the ecoboost forums/videos, it may have just been my oil had broken down too much despite the oil life monitor claiming i had >60% oil life (about 7,500 miles from last oil change).
Changed the oil and have not heard the startup rattle since, so for now on, alot of owners say to ignore the OLM and change the oil at around 5k miles

I get about 18mpg's highway; 15 while in town; 15 pulling a 16.5' boat, 9mpgs when pulling a 5,000lb trailer

I would check the TSB's, but I'm pretty sure I came across plenty of the G2's with the same issues

Things I've noticed from others and Ford claims to be normal:
Slight "dead spot" when accelerating between gears
2 piece driveshaft has a slight wobble during take off from a stop (worse with a load)
Driveshaft slip yoke clunk-Needs to be greased
The spark plugs need to be changed more often than the schedule claims

would i buy another one? I'm still too new to the game...

No dead spot in the 3.5l expedition I drove in February. That thing flat out moved as soon as you put your foot into it. The 23 mpg average I got is what got me interested in doing some shopping in the next year or two.

The 3.5 eco boost is the best motor ford has ever made if you get one with 321 rear ends you will be amased at the gas milage

I have an '18 F-150 with the 2.7 eco boost. Chose with the 2.7 over the 3.5 knowing I was going to be driving all over the west for hunts and wanted the slightly better gas mileage. The 2.7 does everything I want but in hindsight I wish I would have gone with the 3.5 for a little more giddy up.

I really like the performance of the 3.5 in my 2014. Only 60K on it. Had to do the throttle body at about 45K. Performance is great for me reliability is still in the back of my mind. Wish mileage was better but I think they built an unrealistic expectation of fuel economy. My wife has the echo in her edge and again like the performance but MPG is nothing special. Of course one shouldn't really expect great mileage out of a full size truck with low gear rear end and max tow package.

My MPG experience is right there with Jmnhunter in post #25.

I really like the performance of the 3.5 in my 2014. Only 60K on it. Had to do the throttle body at about 45K. Performance is great for me reliability is still in the back of my mind. Wish mileage was better but I think they built an unrealistic expectation of fuel economy. My wife has the echo in her edge and again like the performance but MPG is nothing special. Of course one shouldn't really expect great mileage out of a full size truck with low gear rear end and max tow package.

My MPG experience is right there with Jmnhunter in post #25.

The changes to the newer engines must have improved the MPG. I regularly get 17+ around town in my 2018 and 22+ highway travel. Even better if I drive conservatively at all.

The changes to the newer engines must have improved the MPG. I regularly get 17+ around town in my 2018 and 22+ highway travel. Even better if I drive conservatively at all.
i think it was 2015+ that go to the 10 speed correct?
mine is sitll the 6 speed with the 3.31 gears

I think the 10 speed tranny is the main difference in MPG. I think 2015 for the 10 speed is correct.

I can do better if I really try but who wants to do that? At first I missed the exhaust notes of the 5.0 in my 2012 but the turbo spooling up has really grown on me. I have a 4 banger honda daily driver for saving gas.

I've got a 2015 2.7L . Tows our 8K pound TT like a champ and have had no issues to date. I did lose fair amount of MPG by putting heavier tires and 2" level on... but I accept that is all on me.

I think the 10 speed tranny is the main difference in MPG. I think 2015 for the 10 speed is correct.

I can do better if I really try but who wants to do that? At first I missed the exhaust notes of the 5.0 in my 2012 but the turbo spooling up has really grown on me. I have a 4 banger honda daily driver for saving gas.

I always forget about that. Yeah, I'm sure the 10 speed tranny helped a lot. I was a little worried about that when I got it since I've never had anything like that, but I really like it.

I purchased a 2017 Expedition EL with 3.5L EcoBoost. I added a 3/2 leveling kit for additional clearance and 35” tires. My gas mileage suffered, but I am still averaging 15mpg around town If I take it easy on the accelerator which is easier said than done since it’s so quick off the line. It’s got 61,000 miles and the only issue I have had is the backup camera is spotty.

Someone else mentioned only looking at trucks 2017+ and I couldn't agree more. I was between a 2105 3.5EB King Ranch and a 2017 XL STX Package 3.5EB. I went with the '17 for the redesigned motor and 10 speed transmission. I freaking love my truck. 4x4 Supercrew 5.5' bed, center console with bigger touch screen. Tons of power. I had performance turbo import cars prior to this truck and I don't feel at all like I gave up much.

If you feel like it, there are aftermarket tunes and tuners for even more giddy up. I am looking to go to 17" wheels and 33" tires in the next few months from my factory 20" wheel setup. I also did Bilstein 5100 series shocks in all 4 corners. For a truck, the thing rides like a Caddy. I've taken it hunting. numerous times and plenty of room for gear between the bed and cab.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back