Ford 3.5L EcoBoost

WBouldin

In the market for a gently used truck and leaning towards the F150 w/ 3.5L EcoBoost. Anybody have experience with the engine and have good or bad things to say? Won’t be towing, just around town and to and from the bird lands

We have the 2018 and are really happy with it so far. My wife averages +/- 17 mph driving it every day. Plus, it's a lot of fun lol

Check out the 2.7L if the configurations they offer it in work for you. Better fuel economy.
I have a 2017 with the 2.7l...with the hills and wind of SW MT I actually wish I had gotten the 3.5. I feel like I'm pushing the 2.7 when the 3.5 (or 5liter) would be a walk in the park

A few of the Minnesota guys have the 3.5 and put some serious miles on them. They are happy

I have an 15' 3.5L in my wife's expedition, just over 100k on it. Plenty of power and acceleration with those twin turbos. It's a 4x4 el model, so heavier then an f150 and we are getting 13.5 in town and 15 on the highway. I rented a 19' model with the ten speed transmission, while mine was in the shop, and I got 22 mpg driving to AZ from TX.
I have had problems with the throttle body, replaced it twice, once under warranty. I also have an oil leak on the engine that was discovered while replacing the worn out A arms. I had less problems with the 5.0 engine in my last expedition. No catastrophic failures with the engine, just minor annoyances. I probably won't buy another one.

2018 with 34" heavy 10ply toyos get 16.5mpg. lots of power

My buddy CPO has had his (double cab, 4x4, FX4 with a 2 in level) for going on 3 years now and loves it. Tons of power, not a single issue and his only complaint is sometimes wishing for a longer bed. He traded in a POS, PITA Rebel and it has been an incredible upgrade.

I have a 2018 F150 Crew Cab with the 3.5L EcoBoost. It tows well, it handles well, the layout is great but I have had a ton of mechanical problems with the truck. I’ve had it for two years and three months and it’s been in the dealerships shop six times. Cam phasers twice, door bolts backing out, touch screen/radio control unit bad. Now I’m at 38,400 miles, just outside of warranty, and the radiator is cracked. Very frustrating!

Bought a 2016 brand new I have 104,000 on it right now oil changes and brakes only and I use the shit outta it hard towing heavy loads weekly.

it’s been in the dealerships shop six times.
Wow!
That's an ugly scene! What a bummer! When we bought ours we had a 100k warranty bumper to bumper included.

We've had our truck at the dealership 2x's due to electronics w/ the backup camera and radio screen.
Our local Dealership is disorganized and frustrating... However, the truck w/ it's 60k miles... That all the issues we've had and thankfully all covered under warranty (including loaner cars).

I feel for ya running into those issues. What a bummer!

I had a brand new 2015 3.5 Ecoboost. The engine blew up on me with 24,000 miles. Ford did a great job from a warranty standpoint, but numerous things happened with that truck. Two starters, brake issues, as well as some cosmetic warranty stuff. I have been a Ford owner for three decades, but I will never own another ecoboost. I traded it in in 2018 on a diesel. I did not care between Ford, Dodge, or Chevy, but ended up with a GMC diesel, and have never been happier. My advice, is if going with F150, go for the V8.

I can tell you having wrenched on a couple that you want the 2nd Gen (2017-newer) 3.5l. The gen 1 engines have direct injection only which leaves the intake valves to become severely coked and eventually losing compression and building pressure problems. Gen 2 has both DI and traditional intake fuel injection which fires a mist of fuel on the back of the intake valve every so many cycles keeping the valve clean due to the gasoline and detergent within it. The gen 2 is also more reliable in its timing components and water pump which were both big trouble in the gen 1. The updated turbos are also tested to last for far more duty cycles. For my money I'd skip everything made prior to 2017. I wouldn't bother with the 2.7l unless you dont ever tow heavy or you are getting the truck far under book.

I have a 2018 F150 Crew Cab with the 3.5L EcoBoost. It tows well, it handles well, the layout is great but I have had a ton of mechanical problems with the truck. I’ve had it for two years and three months and it’s been in the dealerships shop six times. Cam phasers twice, door bolts backing out, touch screen/radio control unit bad. Now I’m at 38,400 miles, just outside of warranty, and the radiator is cracked. Very frustrating!
Which plant was your 2018 made in? I'm half-ass keeping track of which assembly point was having the most quality/assembly issues...

We our on our second F150 with 3.5 turbo. Living and driving in the mountains it’s nice to have the turbo, otherwise you loose 3% of your hp per 1,000 ft.

I have a 2017 with the 2.7l...with the hills and wind of SW MT I actually wish I had gotten the 3.5. I feel like I'm pushing the 2.7 when the 3.5 (or 5liter) would be a walk in the park

A few of the Minnesota guys have the 3.5 and put some serious miles on them. They are happy
They went to the 10 speed transmission in the 2.7L in 2018; I wonder how much of a difference that would have made for you. I'll be testing both engines later this summer with my boat to see which one I like better, but I hope I like the 2.7L. It has more HP and torque than my Tundra and the Tundra seems to pull the boat just fine.

Lot's of people like the 3.5's, but there are quite a few with major issues.

If I was shopping 1/2 ton Fords, a 5.0 would be requisite.

I have a 2016 3.5EB Crew Cab, Long box 4X4 with 3:55 gears. 76K miles and no problems. Pulls a 16 foot enclosed trailer or a 19 foot fiberglass boat with ease. In town I get about 17-18 mpg and 20-22 on the freeway. On highways I have gotten as high as 25.7, but that was a one time deal. Mostly 22-24. In the dead of MN winter, mileage suffers a little bit like they all do. Very pleased with the truck and will buy a carbon copy in about a year.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back