Caribou Gear Tarp

FORBES production rifles llc

GKimPrice

Well, I am sounding off on the newly formed "Forbes production rifles llc" that Melvin Forbes has orchestrated - I have been keenly watching and reading in anticipation of purchasing one for myself and another for my Grandson BUT they haven't even got them out to all the shops and retail outlets and they are already making cheapened parts ! The original had the Forbes/Timney design trigger with a 2 position/3 function safety so the bolt is locked down when the rifle is loaded and now they have "designed" a "better?" one that is just like the ridiculous Rem 700/Marlin x7/Ruger American/etc... that will flip open when you least expect it to - This started out to be what appeared to be a grand venture but I am wondering what else will be "new and improved" in the coming months ? Personally, I have just had my interest in one killed

I have been watching this unfold also. Years ago I waited and watched when he teamed up with Colt and I bought a Colt Light Rifle .270 (couldn't afford to buy one of his original Ultra Light Arms) Kind of the same thing happened there too. Still hunt with the Colt every year and it's sure will group, but definitely has a "cheap" look to it, but functions perfectly.

I was/am really hoping his new venture will end up working out as I still could never write a check for the New Ultra Light Arms either.

Jorgy - I hear ya, in the same boat myself - The new "production" venture will undoubtedly go more smoothly than the Colt venture but I am simply disenchanted with this safety mechanism change because there is no reason whatsoever to do it except it is cheaper - I tried as hard as I could to live with a Rem 700 because they are a good solid and accurate package but I literally found my bolt open and the magazine empty at least 5 times and had enough, could have had a smith do a model 70 safety for $375+ but sometimes "principle" wins out - Kimber as done that part right, now if they can do a belted magnum model that weighs under 6 lbs I'll go that route

Your Remington 700 bolt open and magazine empty? 5 times? Was this while hunting and you didn't notice? mtmuley

the new FORBES look nice for the money i did look them over last yr at the SHOT show
the price point is well below a ultra light arms for sure . they did not have this new style trigger you speak of on them at that time . could you not save some money buying a forbes and then put some of that saved money towards a new timmey trigger ? i think melvins actions will take any brand trigger that will work on a rem 700 action right
its to bad that somany things come down to just money. i feel it you really want a forbes or an ultra light arms you should find a way to make it work. i have 3 of melvins ultra lights and have never even looked back at the money spent.

could you not save some money buying a forbes and then put some of that saved money towards a new timmey trigger ?
It will still be a Timney, just not the 2 position/3 function as on the NULA. I've never had a problem with bolts opening on guns with 2 position/2 function safeties. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

It will still be a Timney, just not the 2 position/3 function as on the NULA. I've never had a problem with bolts opening on guns with 2 position/2 function safeties. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

here is an idea . maybe buy a 2 position 3 function timney ?

I bought one a couple weeks ago and it is one of the 2 position/2 function safeties. I must admit I was a little disappointed to see it was not the 2/3 model safety, as I don't like Remington bolts flipping open every so often. However, it is certainly not enough to keep me from purchasing one of these fine guns.

Now that I think about it, the only time I've actually had a bolt come open and lose a round was with a Ruger 77 MKII. Those have a 3-position safety that locks the bolt, but somehow it did get flipped in heavy brush. I usually just make a mental note to check the bolt on my 700 every so often when I'm in the field.

My question is why is your brass that loose that your bolt flops open? I have a Forbes and love it, guess what the bolt has never budged on a hunt, my dad has a 68' Rem 700 and never heard him have this issue either. Properly sized brass shouldn't let the bolt flop should take a bit of effort almost slightly tight. I don't use the safety when hunting, keep your finger off the trigger and in a safe direction and your good. Oh and they will tell you the trigger can't go below 3lbs, mines pretty safe at 1.75!!! Shoots great and recoil isn't to bad for such a light weight rig

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fingelfinger
Back