For the love of wood

Hopefully this works
That is a beauty!!! The checkering job is right up with the best I have seen, elegant with subtle curves, I know how hard those are to do!
I appreciate synthetic but I much prefer walnut stocks.

This was made from a piece of wood left over from when my grandfather made his own stock. Being on a Fieldcraft, it’s still tolerable to carry in the mountains.

View attachment 156565

Debating getting a barreled action for satiate my .243 or 7mm-08 itch so I can put a nice piece of lumber on it. No rifle (within my budget) quite seems to fit the bill.

Debating getting a barreled action for satiate my .243 or 7mm-08 itch so I can put a nice piece of lumber on it. No rifle (within my budget) quite seems to fit the bill.
Brownells had a 6mm Creed barreled actions for $300 in Howa persuasion, not a 243 but close.

Finished up a project I've working on for a while. Stuffed an FN into a Winchester stock. May have been easier to start from scratch. I picked up a stock that had been sanded down and refinished pretty poorly. The checkering had been sanded nearly flat. I fit it and finished and recut the checkering. Probably had 20 plus hours in it.

20201108_151023.jpg
I originally ordered a maple stock from Boyd's that came with some really shitty crooked checkering. For $400 I asked for my money back, and stated down this path...

I fit a Pre 64 into a feather weight stock years ago, with little trouble. Just swapped bottom metal and filed off about 1/8" off the floor plate. A little fitting and it came out pretty nice.

20201108_162756.jpg

On to the next project. Not sure what yet. Been eyeballing a predator/kids rifle. And been doing mental gymnastics over what to get.

KfvULug.jpg

Not to pretty to hunt, but too pretty to cover up with that thing on the stock. Let her breathe!

Besides, that cuff thing will give you a suntan line as the wood ages and mellows.

Point taken, it’s a grab and go rifle.
I agree with BrentD here. Leave those cuffs off. If it’s a grab and go setup, get one of those ammo wallets and snap it around the sling. When you get to where your hunting fill your rifle, and snap the wallet around your pack straps or shove it in a pocket.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back