Foodsaver Tip

npaden

Okay, probably about the last guy to think of this, but I did this last night about 11:00 and was pretty proud of myself.

The only real problem I've ever had with my Foodsaver machine is that when you are getting down to the end and sealing up a lot of packages it starts overheating and you have to wait several minutes before you can seal the next bag. I had upgraded to a really nice Foodsaver from my old one thinking it wouldn't overheat, but it still overheats when you are doing a bunch of bags at once.

We were down to the end and had about 20 bags of hamburger to seal and it started overheating. It was 11:00 and if it kept up at the pace it was on (about 1 bag every 2 minutes) I was going to be there until midnight. I started blowing on the heat strip to try to cool it off, and then the light bulb went on! Pulled out a small fan and set it to blow on the heat strip and within a few minutes it was rocking and rolling. It still overheated a couple times, but recovered much quicker and I think if I had had the fan blowing on it the entire time it might not have ever overheated in the first place.

Next time I will set the fan up on it from the start and hopefully never have to wait on it to cool down again.

Just thought I would share if anyone else has ever had the same issue.

Nathan

Good tip. I have had the same problem and I simply wet down a cold wash cloth and just wipe the heater strip. This works pretty well until it gets really hot but I have more of an entry level model too. It might work on an entire deer or elk if a guy had a mid to upper level model.

Good advice - now does anybody know where to get bags at a decent price when you are buying in quantity. Bags seen to be getting to the same level of priceing as fuel has gotten.

I bought a bunch direct from Foodsaver when they had a really good sale on them a couple years ago. That's when I bought my newest fancy model too. I think everything was 40% off the normal retail prices. You had to buy 10 rolls of bags at once though. I bought 20 and am going to probably have to buy some again next year. Took 3 rolls last night for a cow elk.

Just checked and they are having a special right now for $49.99 for 6 of the 11" X 16' rolls. There is a 20% off coupon code that you can use to get them down to $39.99. That's down to $6.67 per roll instead of the normal $11.99 per roll you would pay at most places I've seen them. If you order $100.00 worth you get free shipping.

www.foodsaver.com Coupon code for 20% off is UPROMISEF20 - it works right now, not sure how long it is good for though.

Just found a better coupon if you are wanting to order in quantity.

$60 off an order of $160 or more. That comes out to 37.5% off if you order exactly $160 worth. Also still qualifies for free shipping.

Best value using that coupon is 3 of the 6 packs at 49.99 then add 1 8" roll at $12.99 to get you over $160 ($161.96) then get the $60 off of that to get the total to $101.96. Still get the free shipping and that comes out to $5.37 cents a roll including shipping.

If 19 rolls is too many you can split with someone. If you like some of the 8" rolls and some of the 11" rolls you can mix and match.

Coupon code for $60 off a $160 order is J2FA60A - it shows to be good through October 31.

If you feel like it you can send me a referral fee by taking me on a free hunt or something! ;)

Thanks for the tip on the bags. I use a baggie with ice cubes to solve the overheating issue. Just rub it across the heating element a couple times between bags. I also seal in smaller batches of 4 or 5 bags. Fill some up, seal and take out to the freezer.

Back