Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Fly line to leader to loop or not

Bob-WY

Time for my first leader replacement on my fly line. Line has no loop, it came with a nail knot connecting the leader

Leaders I bought have a loop.

So I have to either cut loop off leader and use nail knot, or tie loop on line and go loop to loop

Opinions

Bunch of different ways to do this. What works for me is to nail knot an 8-12” section of leader butt material to your fly line and tie a perfection loop on the other end. Then you can loop-to-loop the new leaders to this piece of butt material. This allows you to change leaders as needed without shortening the fly line or having to tie a new nail knot. The only place I don’t do that is where super delicate presentations are required.

I make a loop by wrapping fly line around, putting it in my tying vise, then using fly tying thread to secure it. Usually put some head cement or UV glue on to prevent the threads from fraying.

Forgot another thing, some folks will secure what I described above with some heat shrink tube. I’ve tried that and just melted the end of my fly line.

I also recall a fly shop once being able to “weld” a loop onto a friend’s fly line with whatever kind of wizardry they had going.

Pretty clear what to do, and agree with all; loops hinge, do a nail knot. Pretty easy really. Try it a few times on an old line.

Yep just tie the knot though I've found that I'm not good with getting it the way I want so I end up just going with fly line that has a loop.

How old is your fly line?...a couple years and it's time for new stuff. Run your hands up and down the first 20-30 feet and if it's rough it's time for new line

Then you can decide if you want a loop or knot.

Keep the last foot or so of the old leader and tie a loop in that, rather than cutting your fly line to put a new nail knot on.

In 20 years of doing it this way, I've never noticed a difference in casting distances between a looped leader and a nail knotted one. Gives you a good spot to put your bobber as well for when you want to dredge for whitey.

When I was learning from a good friend, he taught me to make my own leaders by using progressively smaller line, all nail knotted. Can't remember the lengths and size, but ended with the tippet usually being the only part that was in need of replacement. Made for a very reactive leader.

Thanks for all the feedback! The fly line is only a year old, maybe 10 fishing trips with it. Should be in good shape.

A nail knot looks AMAZINGLY like serving a bowstring! Same idea, loops over the part you try to pull through!

This approach is interesting: "Keep the last foot or so of the old leader and tie a loop in that, rather than cutting your fly line to put a new nail knot on." Doesn't commit to a nail knot, and I can try a loop to loop, I think I will experiment and see how things go. Can always swap over to nail knot later.

Keep the last foot or so of the old leader and tie a loop in that, rather than cutting your fly line to put a new nail knot on.
Nearly all my lines are either the above or have welded loops in the line from the factory. For most trout scenarios, there is no noticeable difference in performance or strength.

The only lines I use with only a Nail Knot connection are on my Flats lines - that is the only place I've seen a looped connection cause a problem (the nail knot and loop make two separate splashes and the hinge effect can throw your placement off by 6"+ at 40'-70' distances, both of which matter a lot for skittish fish in 8" of water).

For basically everything else, I haven't seen an issue, and when we are seriously nymphing, the 'hinge' effect can actually be a positive since I mostly use level leaders (usually 3X or 4X) for nymphing to avoid the drag of a tapered leader and get the bug down immediately - just add appropriate tippet to the terminal end (and I don't really like nymphing, so this is mainly for boat rods for my non-paying 'clients').

This thread just made me realize how excited I am for pre-runoff fishing in a couple months.

Nearly all my lines are either the above or have welded loops in the line from the factory. For most trout scenarios, there is no noticeable difference in performance or strength.

The only lines I use with only a Nail Knot connection are on my Flats lines - that is the only place I've seen a looped connection cause a problem (the nail knot and loop make two separate splashes and the hinge effect can throw your placement off by 6"+ at 40'-70' distances, both of which matter a lot for skittish fish in 8" of water).

For basically everything else, I haven't seen an issue, and when we are seriously nymphing, the 'hinge' effect can actually be a positive since I mostly use level leaders (usually 3X or 4X) for nymphing to avoid the drag of a tapered leader and get the bug down immediately - just add appropriate tippet to the terminal end (and I don't really like nymphing, so this is mainly for boat rods for my non-paying 'clients').

This thread just made me realize how excited I am for pre-runoff fishing in a couple months.

This is the only acceptable answer.

Gives you a good spot to put your bobber as well for when you want to dredge for whitey.
Bobber? Wash your mouth out:LOL:

If people prefer a loop then go with a trout Roman Moser minicon.
But the nail knot will out last a RM loop.
When I make a nail knot I dip the end of the fly line in Aquasure to seal it, and a tiny amount of the knot, makes a nice smooth connection.

Cheers

Richard

Bobber? Wash your mouth out:LOL:

If people prefer a loop then go with a trout Roman Moser minicon.
But the nail knot will out last a RM loop.
When I make a nail knot I dip the end of the fly line in Aquasure to seal it, and a tiny amount of the knot, makes a nice smooth connection.

Cheers

Richard

It's a bobber. We lie to ourselves when we call it otherwise.

It's a bobber. We lie to ourselves when we call it otherwise.
I was watching some random fly fishing show with my (non-fishing) mom over the holidays a few years back and they were talking about “strike indicators.” My mom says “Sure looks like a bobber to me.”

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back