Caribou Gear Tarp

Fly fishing-flashy lure?

cwitherow

The state park down the road from me confirmed they will be stocking the river with brown trout again this year. He said most people will use traditional tackle with a small spinner for the first 7-10 days until the fish figure it out. He emphasized the "flash" that the fish are attracted to, since they haven't eaten in a few days. If I want to use a fly rod, what type of fly would you recommend? I have caught a few sunfish on a fly rod, and definitely consider myself a newbie. Based on my "internet knowledge", I plan on using a nymph rig.

All kinds of options to add flash to a nymph or streamer. Gold beads, epoxy-back wing cases over flashy tinsel, Flashabou strips for ribbing, tails or legs. Then there’s the old Pistol Pete fly, essentially a woolly bugger with a small spinner blade at the head. Have fun.

I'm a little more understated. I'd go for a wooly bugger with a little strip of mylar flash on it. Rip it, drift it, whatever works.

Over the past few days, I have gotten cross-eyed at how much info there is about fly fishing. Thank you to those of you who have offered your advice. I will be sure to post pics of any fish caught, as well as which fly(s) were used. Season opens April 16th!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back