Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Florida Swamp Lizards

Definitely hunting. A very different sort of hunting though. You sure rack up a lot of groceries in a hurry that way.

Good stuff congrats on those nice gators.

Alabama has a recreational tag draw. I got one this year and just filled my tag a few weeks ago on a 7' gator. I have wanted to ask an experienced hunter though...how do you consistently keep them hooked (especially the big ones)?? I hooked up 7 times on 7-9' gators and had them pull off before we could get a second line in one. I used a glass offshore jigging rod that seemed like a nice action, a bit of tip but a lot of backbone, 80lb. braid, and a standard 12/0 weighted barbed treble and a 14/0 weighted barbless treble and gators pulled off them repeatedly. Also, it wasn't because of slack line or lack of knowing how to keep pressure on the line, they would just pop off. I feel like some of it is luck in just getting the hook in the right place (the pit of a leg or similar soft spot).

Last edited:
Appreciate it! Funny because I often wish we could hang baits with set lines. But, I get both sides of it and can see why youd be frustrated.
I grew up in PC. Curious what lake y’all were hunting on if you don’t mind sharing. Congrats.

KayakMacGyver,

Awesome write up and pics. Thanx for sharing. I had four buddies go gator hunting for the first time in August. They all scored. I didn’t end up going due to work. ☹️ But it is on my bucket list now for sure.

I just bought a place in Florida this year. Hopefully I can make this hunt happen in the future.

Thanx again for sharing.

Back