Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Florida deer tags.

Longbow14

so this is my first year going out on my own for any game. Florida has an oddball public land set up where there are WMAs or Wildlife Management Areas. Each individual WMA has its own set season dates, types of harvest method and some have quotas. so I can go on to WMA X with just my deer tag and hunt with several hundred of my closest buddies and/or I can apply for a quota hunt on WMA Y that only allows 25 hunters for the second week of November.
Its a pretty wild process, but I was able to score three quota hunts! one I unfortunately had to return as I had other travel plans, but I have two rifle hunts. one basically in the everglades, and one up north of me by several hours.
Hopefully as November draws near you will get to see my adventure unfold.

Be sure to buy a thermacell.

There are some quality units for deer, hog, and ducks for sure. Hard to draw some, been 5 years since I’ve drawn a deer or waterfowl unit

Awesome bud. Florida is by far the hardest land overall I have hunted (been hunting FL public for 25 years). Now that is compared to Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, and Kentucky are the other states I have hunted. I will be adding Colorado to that this year. Don't get depressed if you don't see a lot of game right away. It is a lot to learn as compared to some other states terrains. Plus the fact you don't actually know what hunts you get until summer time scouting preseason is extremely difficult. As you get experience you will start to learn what you are looking for and will get good at aerial/ cyber scouting. As stated before Thermocell even during the colder months. Snakeboots are another must for me.

While the process might be confusing, most states are similar with their WMAs. Drawing a permit for the first few days was always key, even 35 years ago when I grew up hunting Florida WMAs. Hunt tight to heavy cover and good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back