Yeti GOBOX Collection

Flock Shooting, Does It Work?

Yes that is original wood. It is the middle gun here and is a British made Webley 12 gauge with short chambers. The real prize is that far right shotgun with original presentation grade wood.

Here is a 2 inch shell to compare to a 2 3/4 inch shell...

thumbnail_IMG_2032.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_6095.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_6096 (1).jpg

"Flock shooting" happens at one time or another to almost everyone, who bird hunts. It is probably loved more by ammo companies than bird hunters. And as a method of harvest would probably get some support from PETA. The only real problem with it, IMO, is wondering how many birds fly off, apparently unharmed, with a pellet or two lodged in their guts.

"Flock shooting" happens at one time or another to almost everyone, who bird hunts. It is probably loved more by ammo companies than bird hunters. And as a method of harvest would probably get some support from PETA. The only real problem with it, IMO, is wondering how many birds fly off, apparently unharmed, with a pellet or two lodged in their guts.
Unfortunately that happens anyway even if the shooter picks his target. If I had a dollar for everytime I shot at a bird in a flock or even a couple together and watched another one fall, I could probably buy a nice used (or new?) shotgun.

Shrapnel - great pictures. Nice to see the generations getting out together and enjoying the outdoors. Love the wood on those old guns.

I do admit to deliberately flock shooting a few times - particularly snow geese (safe as our limits are high) when I see them ball up when they are passing in range. Huns, sharptails and ducks I have learned over time that I am more consistent in harvesting if I pick one bird out of the flock.

Keep up the great work with the grandkids

Pass on them. Goldeneye generally don't taste that great. Hold out for a better species.
I should have been more specific that this example was not specific to Goldeneye. Waterfowl and some game birds also land with this flight approach. If it was a target species you are after is the goal of this photo.

Goldeneye do not taste great to me either. But I do know people that like them for taxidermy.

The answer is obvious, wait until they land, then shoot...
Or simply stand and blast them as they flair. If worried about hitting more than one, wait till they split. On more than one occasion I have purposely targeted two geese bumping into each other as they flaired and dropped both birds.

A picture of an example. What would you do or expect to happen in this situation if you shot?
View attachment 166785
What would happen to ME that situation????

I somehow manage to clip both of them with one shot, then proceed to go through 10-12 shells trying to finish them off as they dive and up pop at the outer limit of my shotgun's effective range.

What would happen to ME that situation????

I somehow manage to clip both of them with one shot, then proceed to go through 10-12 shells trying to finish them off as they dive and up pop at the outer limit of my shotgun's effective range.
Another reason I pass on diving ducks.

I typically flock shoot if I have a cow tag, late season they bunch up pretty nicely, so you're bound to connect.

Back