Yeti GOBOX Collection

Flea Market find

okie archer

I enjoy rummaging through road side flea markets, estate sales, antique shops, thrift stores, etc. Never know what you'll find.
Last week my wife and I were headed to go shopping about an hour away and done a quick U in road to go back and check out a highway side flea market "sale".
Lot of junk outside but also there was an indoor portion that had a bunch of books. I ran across these 100+ year old hardbacks about Africa exploring, photographing, and hunting. For a couple bucks a piece I couldn't resist.
I have started reading Trails Of The Hunted by James L Clark. Pretty interesting so far. He tells about him and a friend going afield together. His friend is the photographer and he himself has the gun. They would sneak up on the animals like Rino's and Lions and as close as they could for good photos. The man with the gun wound not shoot until he heard the camera shutter. Rino's and such would charge to 15-20 yards and the photographer would shoot pics and when gunman heard the camera shutter he would shoot the animal. Crazy stuff!
Also he told things like how people of current time (mid 1920's) were amazed at all the animals in east Africa but the author says the animal population was nothing as good as they were when he first arrived in Africa in 1909. He spoke about how civilization has decreased the animals habitat. Keep in mind he said that in the 1920's. These books will also make great man cave decor. IMG_20220708_153117.jpg

Great finds! I'm sure you researched him but Clark worked under, and eventually took over, Carl Akeley, considered the father of modern taxidermy, at the American Museum of Natural History in NYC.

Can only imagine their safari with the Roosevelts. The stores they would have to tell.

Great finds! I'm sure you researched him but Clark worked under, and eventually took over, Carl Akeley, considered the father of modern taxidermy, at the American Museum of Natural History in NYC.

Can only imagine their safari with the Roosevelts. The stores they would have to tell.
I didn't know that until after I started reading this book. As a taxidermist I have heard of Carl Akeley. There is a chapter in this book about taxidermy. Very interesting history.

I've always enjoyed reading the old books on hunting and fishing. Right now I am reading Book of the Black Bass by James Henshall, M.D. circa 1889. Fly fishing for bass is a favorite of mine and it is great to see how the old timers did it without all of the new tech.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back