Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Flatlander weather question

pablodiablo

Hello, I hail from the flat lands of Wisconsin. I'm hunting second season rifle elk in colorado for my first hunt out west.

My strategies thus far have a plan A for a warm or moderate fall, and a plan B if the snow comes early and pushes them out of the high country.

However, I dont know the first thing about getting forecasts for specific mountains or elevations. If I'm hunting near Telluride, how would I go about watching the weather at various elevations? Sorry if this is a silly question! Thank you!

If you are hunting in an area within reasonable distance of a ski resort you can often find weather data for those. I have a whole list of locations in the mountains saved on my weather app that are the closest weather stations to places I go hunting or fishing. However, I recommend you bring your plan A and plan B stuff, it is the Rockies after all...

THanks folks. You are very helpful...im trying to keep basic questions to a minimum here. very excited to go on this hunt!

You better bring both. It may very well get nice and cold by Oct. We had an 18 inch snow one year on the last evening of September. It is already into the 30's and upper 20's in some parts of the mountains at night.

I have carried a NOAA weather radio for 30 yrs in my truck. Just switch frequencies for your area.Still have my original "the box". Look's like my 1960's AM I listened to ball games on.
The ex got me a Weather Channel one with AM/FM/SW/NOAA channels that sends emergency warnings too ,LED flashlight.Battery operated with crank power back up.Also sends Morse code.

I can tell ya from an experience that happened to me and what I was told when I called the maker of the NOAA app. I have the NOAA radar app on my phone and love it; however, my wife and I were at a mountain ski resort high up in elevation and the app said it was sunny with no precipitation. The only problem with that was that it was dumping snow outside, I'm talking white out dumping. So I emailed the app maker and they said that the radar used in that app doesn't pick up things like that at high elevation with any degree of accuracy. You might get hit or misses, just be aware of that and plan to use another sorce.

I can tell ya from an experience that happened to me and what I was told when I called the maker of the NOAA app. I have the NOAA radar app on my phone and love it; however, my wife and I were at a mountain ski resort high up in elevation and the app said it was sunny with no precipitation. The only problem with that was that it was dumping snow outside, I'm talking white out dumping. So I emailed the app maker and they said that the radar used in that app doesn't pick up things like that at high elevation with any degree of accuracy. You might get hit or misses, just be aware of that and plan to use another sorce.

This is kinda scary....and could cost someone their life! I guess I always thought NOAA was better then that but weather is unpredictable. Yikes. Always prepare for the worst and hope for the best when it comes to mountain weather! Good luck!!

Last edited:
I'm planning the same thing this year- my first ever elk hunt oct in Colorado.Wishing you good luck!! Are you hunting alone?

I take it all, things can change in the high country on a dime. Woke up to snow and single digits and by 1 to 2 pm it was 70 degrees. We also base camp it and I am not packing it all in on my back either. The way I see it is you can always take a layer or two off it you are to warm. Some of the best info I ever learned was when I was learning to ice climb. If you are warm standing next to your vehicle before you start the hike in you are over dressed.

I have a pal who i would say is 90% plus in, but if not, I am full bore on hunting solo if need be. When and where are you going?

I Live in Colorado at 8000' and many times it doesn't show snow on the radar apps while it is snowing. I have found that I need several different apps just to get the best forecast. for radar I use Myradar, weatherbug which gets temp off local weather stations it also shows lightning strikes which is nice in the summer, and accuweather for general forecast and use all 3 to get the best idea of what may happen.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back