Fixing social security

What is your most preferred method of changing the social security system?

• Remove the upper pay-in limit

Votes: 64 48.1%
  • Continue to push back the age of first withdrawal as needed

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Reduce benefits to maintain system solvency

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Abandon it all together over time and let everyone fund their own retirement

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • Don’t know

Votes: 12 9.0%

• Total voters
Someone once told me that the reason we have SSI is because things were so much worse before we had it. What do you suppose we would all be complaining about if we didn't have it? All the damn old people pan handling and pooping in the streets?

Dollar in Dollar out. Right?

That would be great in theory, but the reality is that many people take out far more than they put in (Medicare is huge).

In my opinion, part of the deal of being able to live and thrive in the USA is the expectation that we all chip in to make sure everyone is taken care of. It’s a fair deal to me.

That would be great in theory, but the reality is that many people take out far more than they put in (Medicare is huge).

In my opinion, part of the deal of being able to live and thrive in the USA is the expectation that we all chip in to make sure everyone is taken care of. It’s a fair deal to me.

So, to live and thrive I have to support people who have no intention on contributing to society? That doesn't sound like a fair deal to me.

Too many people are taking advantage of things with 0 contribution to society. Where did everyone's bootstraps go?

We're all working to make a living and retire. I don't feel like I should be responsible for helping someone retire who didn't save any money and is relying fully on SS. Same way I wouldn't expect the government to come bail me me out of any other bad situation I put myself in

I guess some people want a lot more government involvement in their personal affairs than I care to have.

Why can't they make it optional? Then if you need the help because you don't know how to save money, you have an option. But if you'd rather keep your money and invest it yourself, you should be able to.

These people, who aren’t responsible enough to save money, would make the choice to save money?

Do you see where this quickly breaks down?🙃
Or the waitress, or mechanic, or school janitor, or teacher. Long list but think of any way underpaid individual. Contributed their entire working life and fall victim to cancer, dementia, diabetes/kidney disease. Without SS and Medicare, they are bankrupt in less than 2 weeks.

These people, who aren’t responsible enough to save money, would make the choice to save money?

Do you see where this quickly breaks down?🙃
That's true and on the other hand someone else being irresponsible isn't my concern until it is. I can see both sides. Bad things happen to people who have good intentions and work all there life sometimes things go sideways. There is no single answer imo.

Why can't they make it optional? Then if you need the help because you don't know how to save money, you have an option. But if you'd rather keep your money and invest it yourself, you should be able to.

Many of us have this notion that being part of society means you contribute to said society knowing full well that you may never reap the full benefit of your contribution. But your contribution helps your fellow folk and may even be there in the event you need it.

It's kinda wild, it's almost like not all of us are so individualistic that we'd let folks go poor in their golden years so we can save 6.2% on our tax bill.

You always have the option to go and work in a society that doesn't value a safety net. I believe you'll have to renounce your usa citizenship to avoid still paying taxes tho.

Not gonna see much in terms of ss, not much is going in on there behalf.
Correct. But was their contribution to society not important? Many are going to wind up with bigger withdrawals than contributions and I’m ok with that. They still deserve to live out their elder years in dignity and it’s not like they’re hitting the jackpot anyway.

Correct. But was their contribution to society not important? Many are going to wind up with bigger withdrawals than contributions and I’m ok with that. They still deserve to live out their elder years in dignity and it’s not like they’re hitting the jackpot anyway.
Not arguing that just stating the fact. Wife's a waitress. 😉

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back