Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Fishing over the weekend

Delw

WOW what an experiance.

April and I got up to laughlin late thursday night and it was very windy so I opted not to prefish.

Got up friday morning and went on the lake.
That lake is incredible you can see depths down to 40 feet. Pleasant is clear but this lake is gin clear.
There is very little cover in the lake as well and alot of carp and stripers.

I was there on friday just checking the lake out and not fishing. saw about 8-12 nice big fat bed fish(up to 6lbs) . in 5 different coves they came out later in the afternoon. So I marked them for sat's tourny and planned on hitting them in the afternoon.
waves were what I thought pretty big( I found out what big was on sunday) in the main lake around 3-4 foot swells.

checked a few other places and headed back to the motel.

Sat.
water was calm as can be, which was great for bed fishing in the afternoon. right off the bat we started tossing spinner baits , crank baits,jigs and dropshot. nothing. then the wind picked upjust before 10am so bed fishing was out atleast for the fish I found, due to the wind coming from the north this time so we fished jigs dropshot flipped worms etc.

Caught one fish small dink on a pink splitshot worm. It was pretty cool seeing the fish take the worm at 20-30 feet deep coming off a rock wall.

Sunday. the day of Oh shits
I got up and ready with only 3 hours sleep, walked outside and the wind was blowing like a hurrican in laughlin. I get to the lake and its even worse. Big whitecaps on the main lake that you can see from the launch ramp.

we were boat 12 in the 7th flight. our time to go and it was pretty unerving.
guys were flying by me and catching air 2-5 feet out of the water, we thought we saw one boat take a dive(we saw a big spalsh in the distance then it dissapeared) waves are easly 3-5 feet. I was determined to head to cotton wood where most people would go due to the waves( thats where alot fo fish were caught as well) I was heading up there and the waves got bigger and bigger, so I pulled off and we hit a little cove that had some sumerged trees. I had one hit on a 1.5oz spinner bait and that was it.
We took off from there and inched our way up to cotton wood hitting coves(to dry off) and throwing everything. still no bites.

I started to head across the main lake and just couldnt handle it those waves were 6-8 feet so I turned around and started heading back fishing a few coves on the way. going with the waves is completly different than going against them. I might have been doing 5-10 mph when I saw this huge and I mean huge wave. I said oh shit hang on and we made it through that one just as I said that was huge my partner said" than you dont want to see these next ones." we hit it on the low side bow first and had 4-6 feet wall of water going right over the nose. it sucked the boat down at about a 45 º into the water. everything on the deck wasnt there no more(except the rods) when the wave hit my chest I remember seeing my partner flip over back wards then he flipped back into the seat. we had water up to out chest in the boat, the motor was under water and so was the bow.
I floored the boat trying to push the water out of the boat and get the bow up but it did no good, just acted like a submarine, full bore was only about 1 mph the motor dies and the I get nervious again( I cant swim) I fired it back up and headed for sure. that 10 mins seemed like a freaking lifetime. I beached the boat about 3/4s of the way on the beach and started the draining process.
it was kinda hard to drain due the the back end was still under water so I trimmed the motor up to jack the back of the boat out of the water. 1-1.5 hours later it was done and we took off.
except I was pretty scared. Partner talked me through it and while we got pretty wet we didnt spear anymore waves.
found a few fish on beds caught one tried some more jigs and split shot then headed back to weigh-in

We heard 30-40 boats turned around and went home not fishing.
we heard one guy ran up to cotton wood and his non boater made him turn around and bring him back then he headed back up there by himself.
we also heard that one guy (boater) got knocked out of his boat, he suffered broken ribs and hypothermia, he was air evact to a hospitol.

At weigh-in some of those guys weighed in some real nice bags of fish.
Thats a tough lake and when the wind picks up its pretty scarey. the fish are real nice and big,
On the bright side I did break my non fish in the boat streak .
Cant wait to go back next year.

Heres a few pics
we were in a cove and I snapped this one while idleing
Img_0953_001.sized.jpg

this is inside a calmer cove
Img_0960.sized.jpg

I didnt get any pics of the boat full of water or us completely drenched for I was chain smoking the last pack of cig.s that I could find trying to calm my nerves.
My celphone gps and everything else(mainly food) got soaked, what wasnt tied down on the boat got washed off.
The wave it my partner so hard it ripped open his rain jacket and light jacket also ripped the sunglass's right off his head. he was a little sore from flipping over the back of the seat.
My neck and back got a little twisted from the wave hitting me square in the face(as it blew over the consol).

Delw

Del... Man sounds like you had a bit on. I know that water can be very unforgiving and you have to respect that. No force stronger than water. Glad to hear you made out ok. Like stated before though it does kind of take the fun out of the fishing though. weather report. " Fresh to Frightening" ;)

It sounds like this story should have been put in the survival section...Glad you guy's didn't get hurt, I have been in waves like that on Ross Lake in Washington in a canoe and that was a lot of fun....Thanks for the pics and I am also glad you didn't lose every thing... :D

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back