Yeti GOBOX Collection

Fishing brands you stand by?

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
Suffix Line
Bfishn PulsR - https://customjigs.com/products/authentx-pulse-r.html Best damn walleye swim bait in the land
Pflueger
Yamaha 4 Stroke outboards
Scheels customer service - knowledgable staff on about everything compared to the other big chains .
That's the second time I've heard someone rave about those Pulse-r swimbaits. I ordered a few and will give them a try. I wish they made a version in the 4"-5" range.

What is wrong w/ you people? Trusted fishing brands, start and stop w/ RONCO

I had a catfish client that liked to catch fish on any off- the- wall outfit he came across. One year it was a pole about 16' long and the next it was that pocket fisherman. He caught a few on the pf but missed a lot of fish not being able to set the hook. He didn't care, just having fun.

Penn Reels
St Croix rods
Everglades boats
Yamaha Engines
Storm Lures
Fluorocarbon leader
Powerpro braided line

That's the second time I've heard someone rave about those Pulse-r swimbaits. I ordered a few and will give them a try. I wish they made a version in the 4"-5" range.
I really like the fire and ice or whatever the white and silver flake one is . I was on a lake last year. Had my walleye limit of 5 in probably 15 -20 casts . Boat next to me was throwing twisters and couldn’t scratch a one with his kid . I felt so bad just hammering them I motored over and threw a package to them to him and his boy .

I really like the fire and ice or whatever the white and silver flake one is . I was on a lake last year. Had my walleye limit of 5 in probably 15 -20 casts . Boat next to me was throwing twisters and couldn’t scratch a one with his kid . I felt so bad just hammering them I motored over and threw a package to them to him and his boy .
Good man!

Lots of great names being mentioned, that I agree with. To throw out a few more that I haven't seen mentioned so much:

I've been impressed, over the years, by Cabelas Fish Eagle spinning rods. I think they're often nicer than the entry level St. Croix's.

Yo Zuri makes really nice crankbaits.

Owner makes great hooks and jigheads.

For fly fishing, there's so much great stuff out there if you can afford it. If you want great quality, while paying a bit less, I'd recommend some of the nicer TFO rods and Galvan reels.

Another brand you'd be wise to check out if you're not rich and like fly fishing: Ebay. 😅
I second ebay shopping. I bought new Orvis waders with tags still attached for a song. Factory seconds I think. The buckle was sewn on the belt backwards. Works fine just looks a little goofy. Fly fishermen are typically gear junkies and upgrading all the time. I have picked up great stuff on line that was hardly used for a fraction of retail prices.

Northwest take on fishing equipment:
Willie Boats (Drift boat & Jet sled)
Lamiglass fishing rods
Shortbus fishing flashers
Maxima fishing line
Ambassador fishing reels
Most everything Luhr Jenson
;)

I second ebay shopping. I bought new Orvis waders with tags still attached for a song. Factory seconds I think. The buckle was sewn on the belt backwards. Works fine just looks a little goofy. Fly fishermen are typically gear junkies and upgrading all the time. I have picked up great stuff on line that was hardly used for a fraction of retail prices.
It's so true. I have a gorgeous Scott 8 weight that I got on there. Barely used and I paid about 40% of the new cost.

Ugly stick they are kinda heavy but it’s the only rod I can get more then a season out of and fire line. Love that stuff. For jigs I love high caliber lures it’s a “small” business based out of Sask

Ugly stick they are kinda heavy but it’s the only rod I can get more then a season out of
This.

I just bought my son a fishing pole for his upcoming birthday. I thought I'd get him a really good one. It broke within 5 minutes of putting a reel on it. It never saw the outdoors. I guess I didn't realize how fragile expensive rods are. Never again. Hoping I'll be able to get my money back since I would never feel confident bringing it anywhere as my (or my son's) sole fishing pole.

I've been using Ugly Stik my whole life. I've abused the crap out of them. Used them on fish far larger than I should've ever used them on in the Gulf of Mexico. Stepped on them in the bottom of the boat. Pulled in trees with them. Never had one break.

For spinning reels, I've used Penn for many years and really like them. Unfortunately, they mostly aren't made in the USA anymore..but it doesn't seem like any of them really are anymore except for ridiculously expensive ones.

Of course Rapala is a go-to for me when using lures

For trout fishing in high elevation lakes/ponds with spinning tackle, I like Jake's Stream-A-Lure.

Nightcrawlers are always great..not too particular on brand :)

Also love using willowcats for walleyes...when my uncle used to net them....

I've not fly-fished enough to make a real great assessment of that tackle.

St, Croix
G. Loomis
Abu Garcia
Lew's
Sunline (especially the FC Sniper)

Can't wait to get out there! Our annual trip to Quetico Provincial Park is only 2 months away!

I've been fishing hard for 30 of my 32 years on this planet, for damn near anything that swims and any questionably legal method of doing so. Gear that doesn't last doesn't get remembered. But I'm all about value- the effectiveness & longevity vs. price.

Reels: Abu Garcia (had great luck with these). Runner up- Shimano.

Rods: Ugly stick is indestructible, and they're good for that. Not the lightest, not the most sensitive, but damn they last forever, and that makes them a great value. Better options? Yes. But I don't know them off the top of my head, aside from my Abu Garcia spinning combo.

Line: Bass Pro Excel (mono) or original Stren- if you want mono, this is what you need. I've caught multiple fish over 30# on 4# test, and even more on 6#. Seaguar Blue or Premier fluoro for leaders if using braid. I set up my tip-ups with 20lb and a #8 treble, and I'm 4/4 on landing pike (all over 30")- no bite offs.

Hooks: Gamakatsu, no question. VMC makes good stuff, too, but usually at a premium, and they don't seem to carry the big stuff. Mustad is probably my #2 just for variety and quality.

Lures: Rapala. Getting damn spendy these days, but damn do they catch fish. Berkeley flicker shad are becoming my shad-rap replacement because of price & color options, but sometimes you just need the shad rap. Shadow rap, husky jerk, and original floating rap are other favorites.

Soft Plastics: Mann's Jelly Worm- nothing will ever compare to the original finesse worm for largemouth. Yum- twister tails, crawfish, paddletails, etc. Mister Twister- sassy shad.

Basic setup to catch anything: 7'6" ML spinning rod, 6-8lb BP excel mono, with a weight and a #2 aberdeen hook for either a live minnow or nightcrawler- preferred setup for anything under 5lbs. Upgrade to a 7'6" baitcast with an Abu and 15# test for bigger stuff like pike & catfish, or big largemouth.

I'll reserve judgement on my fly gear- still in love with my Winston, even if they discontinued the one I have.

Rods: Sage, T & T, Echo
Reels: islander, Penn, Orvis, Lamson,Bean.
Waders: Redington
Wading boots: Simms

Boat: War Eagle swamp boat w/ Honda 25.
My wife is wearing my Yellowstone Drifter on her ring finger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back