Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Fishing brands you stand by?

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
Orvis

Sage

Simms

First spinning reel was a Zebco 202. Eventually I was able to upgrade to the (Zebco) 404 model.
All we ever had were zebcos as a kid. Im trying to remember what the bigger rod real combo was a zebco 733 maybe? I remember my dad bought me one at a Walmart by lake Michigan. Big channel cats kept breaking line. Not anymore after I got that thing home. Going to pick up a little second for my three year old sometime this week.

I’m in the salt exclusively

Rods: GLoomis
Spinning reels :Shimano
Line: Power Pro
Leader: Seagar
Hooks: Owner
plugs: Mirrorlure and Rapala

fly rods: GLoomis ,Orvis, Sage
fly reels : Tibor, Tibor or Tibor.
Lines: Cortland , Orvis, Rio
Leader:knotless tapered Rio, Orvis , Seagar fluoro For hand ties and bite tippet.

Surf Rods: GLoomis, Tica
Surf reels: Shimano, Penn

Assorted gear : Simms/ Columbia

my motto for salt gear is buy once, cry once and rinse and maintain.

I’m in the salt exclusively

Rods: GLoomis
Spinning reels :Shimano
Line: Power Pro
Leader: Seagar
Hooks: Owner
plugs: Mirrorlure and Rapala

fly rods: GLoomis ,Orvis, Sage
fly reels : Tibor, Tibor or Tibor.
Lines: Cortland , Orvis, Rio
Leader:knotless tapered Rio, Orvis , Seagar fluoro For hand ties and bite tippet.

Surf Rods: GLoomis, Tica
Surf reels: Shimano, Penn

Assorted gear : Simms/ Columbia

my motto for salt gear is buy once, cry once and rinse and maintain.
Yes, but do you have a salt life sticker on your truck? That's what separates the men from the boys.

I'm a fly fishing noob. I break a lot of stuff.

Fly gear:
For now it's mid range Redington rods.
I like to restore old Pflueger Medalist reels for them.
The best Simms waders and boots I could afford. (I want to be comfortable losing all my flies.)
Alaska Fly Fishing Goods species specific patterns for Salmon and Steelies.
$1 patterns for trout.

For spin tackle:
I like to find thrift shop rods and reels and restore them. When the pile gets too big, I give some away and start over.
Mepps Flying C spinners
Blue Fox in any color

Sticker on truck:

North 40 Fly Shop

I'm a fly fishing noob. I break a lot of stuff.

Fly gear:
For now it's mid range Redington rods.
I like to restore old Pflueger Medalist reels for them.
The best Simms waders and boots I could afford. (I want to be comfortable losing all my flies.)
Alaska Fly Fishing Goods species specific patterns for Salmon and Steelies.
$1 patterns for trout.

For spin tackle:
I like to find thrift shop rods and reels and restore them. When the pile gets too big, I give some away and start over.
Mepps Flying C spinners
Blue Fox in any color

Sticker on truck:
North 40 Fly Shop
Some years ago, I went up and spent a week fishing for Atlantic salmon in the Gaspé penninsula of Quebec. It's expensive and very "civilized." There were plenty of fancy people there and Atlantics are known as hard fighters (I burned my hand on one fast run), but do you know what reel I saw on more rods than any other?

medalist.png

Penn has been bulletproof in my opinion.

I really like shimano reels, but Daiwa and Abu garcia's are great too.

St croix rods are the bees knees. There's another brand kind of centered around bass fishing called "sixgill" that's always having buy one get one sales. I like their rods but not their reels.

I caught my first fish 63 years ago and have been hooked ever since. But unless I am holding it in my hand, looking right at it, with my glasses on, I couldn't tell you the names on any of my fishing gear. Most of my lures and other tackle are stuff other people lost and I found anyway. I have found, over the years, that most fish aint too fussy about what brand of nightcrawler I throw out into the lake.

Rapala and Gary Yamamoto are the way.

Also, If ya'll are saying Abel is blue collar, I don't even wanna know what would be consider bougie.

If any of these need replacent, you can bet I'll be buying the exact same thing to replace it. I ice fishing, troll lake Michigan and open water fish inland lakes too.

1) the Abu Garcia reel on my two musky rods
2) my helix
3) any jig in my perch/crappie box which now only consists of vmc spoons, Rapala rippin raps and pink/orange jig heads with an array of plastics for them
4) any lure made by moonshine
5) seeths custom wood tip down boards

View attachment 218621

I can't for the life of me figure out why every Claw drinker in Montana has this on the back of their window and decked in the Salt Life gear.

There isn't a God damn ocean for almost 1200 miles..... and more like 2k for some warm water. Wtf.
My ex GF put a giant pink Salt Life sticker on the back window of my truck when I was out of town... I actually drove it around for a couple days before I noticed, since I just happened to approach my truck from only the front for a few days. Those stickers were everywhere in the southeast. I think they handed them out as you got DUIs.

My ex GF put a giant pink Salt Life sticker on the back window of my truck when I was out of town... I actually drove it around for a couple days before I noticed, since I just happened to approach my truck from only the front for a few days. Those stickers were everywhere in the southeast. I think they handed them out as you got DUIs.
Probably why she's the ex now eh? Would be for me.....

Scheel's Rods
Rapala
Diawa
Plano
Lowrance
Ranger
Yamaha
Suffix
VMC
Mack's
Minnkota
Berkley