Yeti GOBOX Collection

Fish ID challenge

vanish

Caught these fish in the same creek a few years apart. I'm curious to hear your thoughts in species. I know what the biologist told me. High country of Colorado. Please give your reasoning. :)
IMG_4171~3.JPG

IMG_4172.jpg

IMG_4178.jpg

Well, it's definitely a char. CO high lakes can be an interesting gamble. It doesn't have parr marks to indicate small laker, but doesn't have the distinct squigglies of a brook trout. Almost looks like a little bully but what the heck would it be doing down there? Same goes for arctic char. I never rule anything out, people dump oddball fish in all kinds of oddball places.

See those brookies all have very distinct squigglies. The picture of the backbone in the first post has spots, not squigglies.

Dorsal Fins are the give away between brook and bulls and none of your pictures show the dorsal fin to see if there are spots.

Dorsal Fins are the give away between brook and bulls and none of your pictures show the dorsal fin to see if there are spots.

Found one with a dorsal, but the finger shadow may be in just the wrong spot.

IMG_4174~2.JPG

Like RobG said it’s outside the Bull Trout range. It looks like there is faint spots on the dorsal. I would say they are pale looking brook trout.

The next drainage over would have such drastically different looking brookies? I'm going with the hybrid theory, unless this turns out to be some weirdo lake where someone planted fish that shouldn't be there.

I catch them all over all the time in mountain streams in idaho. Always curious of they were some sort of cross or pale brookies.

Brown trout. The fins, tail, and back just do not look like a brookie to me.

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back