Fish Finders?

2fastnaz

All right I'm going to invest in a new Fish Finder. I dont think I want a pinpoint as any one who visits the AZBP will understand. Has anyone had any problems with Garmins? What would Ya'll recomend.

Thanks again

J.D.

go with a lowrance they work better, even though they also have repair problems(ie getting them fixed fast enough)

Delw

2fastnaz,
What's your budget?

Highend: go with a Lowrance X-91 or if you can afford it X-15.

Middle of the road: try a Lowrance X-71

Low end: Don't waste your money you won't be happy.

The Lowrance X-71 has 1200 watts and 160x160 pixel count screen sells for under $300.00 with the transducer included.

I have a small Pinpoint up front. A Lowrance X-70A and a Hummingjunk 3D Vision at the console. I trust both the Pinpoint and the Lowrance equally. BTW my Pinpoint plugs directly into my Pinpoint trolling motor so I don't have the transducer problems that Spiderman has been having.

Westy...

Since you mentioned humminjunk, I have a question.

I hear from everyone on both sites that humminbirds arent very good fishfinders. However they fall directly into my price range at the present time. There is a Hummingbird 400tx at a decent price which I can almost afford. Is it worth getting? Basically I need it for depth readings and somewhat ok fish finding abilities. I know its probably not close to being as good as the ones you all love but will it be ok for the limited uses I need.
Chances are if I can come up with the money I will buy it, Just wanted some of your opinions on it.
As always thanks for any help!!!

If your needs are limited as you say, then the 400TX will be fine, however I agree with Westy. For the same money or maybe even a little less, I'd buy the Lowrance X-71. Just my humble opinion. Good luck!

John

I can get you a lowrance x91 with tranducer for $443 , X71 with transducer for $285 , garmin 160 with transducer for $198.84 ...

I think the shipping is around $12 or less free if I order a few of them..

Delw

2FASTnAZ- go to bassproshops.com and look at the difference between units. Then tell Delw what you want since he's about 4.00 cheaper. I think that's because he gives a discount so if he ever needs to barrow parts he'll know where to get them! :D Atleast at basspro you can see all the functions listed this may help you out. Chris

only reason I am cheaper is cause my supplier has a sale till 8/2/02.. Trying to find more suppliers now....

Delw

Is the garmin that much better than the hummingbird? And how much better is the x71 than the garmin? It might take me alittle longer to get that much money together but if everyone says they are better maybe I will try to go with the x71 or garmin 160.

Also how difficult is the installation of these units? I Hear some of them mounts on the trolling motor. I do not have a trolling motor yet. Can I still mount it easily? And where would it mount?
Thanks again for the help!!

Hey Delw- Thanks for the steering post. How much would an install be and also for the trim? One more thing is the trim gauge easy to install or is it tricky? I'm not very good with mechanical things. Thanks Chris

They are easy to mount... you can mount them on the transom. most of the units come with a transom mount hardware kit.. the trolling motor kit is always extra....

As far as whats better it is your own preferance.. I have a humming junk and a eagle. I like my eagle better.. my humming junk has as many problems as Spidermans pinpoint. only thing is at humming bird they send it back saying there is nothing wrong with it.... I gave up after almost a dozen times.... I mounted it 3 differnt ways and used 4 different transducers still have the same problem... Some times it works some times it dont... I have friends that have hummingjunks and have no problems at all. I only know of one guy that has had a problem with a lowrance its because he dropped it in the water(DUH).. I have heard of maybe 3 problems over the internet with them....

I generally dont use a fish finder except in the winter time and that when I hope to get a x-15 and the x71 for the front. If I go to a new lake that I am not familiar with i do use them to find the depth.. pretty much because I flip anyway and know lake pleasant I dont need one...

Delw

Did you get my email Chris?...
they are easy to install just have to take the steering wheel off. but that depends what unit you want to install for the trim... I like the floor one...

Delw

Transom mounts are gravy! There's nothing to it! Just read the simple directions and give it a whirl! You will be surprized how easy it was and proud of your accomplishment! Buy it throught DelMart, but be careful! I wouldn't be too worried about the shipping, but the handling? LOL!

John

Thank You all for the replies and the advice. I'll probably go with Lowrance. My budget when it comes to fishing is unrestricted so I'll look into the X-91 and X-15.

Thanks again for the help

J.D.

Man wouldn't that be to cool.....
Well I don't know...The adreneline rush when one has the delectible aroma hit ones nose of a wallow that is full of elk piss, is just hard to explain...Or walking along and having one scream off to your right or left at 100yds, before you knew it was there is enough to bring the chill up the spins and the goose bumps along ones arms...But some times, I think it would be way to cool to have a toy that could see them thru the brush....LOL....great thought..... :D :D :D

walking along and having one scream off to your right or left at 100yds, before you knew it was there is enough to bring the chill up the spins and the goose bumps along ones arms...But some times, I think it would be way to cool to have a toy ....LOL....great thought.....
--------------------

i hope he hunts alone

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back