Fish finders... How to?

Sytes

Since purchasing an old Bass Tracker, I've been breaking out the Benjamin's...

Picked up the Lowrance 7x Tripleshot. Has the down and side scan, Chirp and GPS on a 7" screen. I would love to break out more Benjamin's for one to mount on the front trolling motor though I want to remain married. Maybe later I can sneak that one into the budget. I'm learning from the politicians. Never mind, that may lead me directly to the big D... :D

Anyhow, Tips, tricks, etc would be great! I found this one guy on YouTube that has been really informative! A great qty of videos describing the basics as well as how to interpret.

example of one of many videos:

I have Humminbirds instead of Lowrance, but I have to say the Side imaging is a game changer for me. My little puddle jumper boat doesn't have it and I miss it often when using that boat. It takes a lot of practice to learn and trust what it is telling you so get out and use it as much as you can. I got it rigged up on my dads boat for him, but he uses it 3 times a year and I have to retrain him every time he gets it wet.

Nothing beats getting time on the water and deciphering the images you’re seeing.
Side scan is just magic. Took this a couple of weeks ago. Top left is a the shadow and just back is the fish - one of our tropical species barramundi - this one about 3ft long.

I picked up the same model last year. "TacticalBassin" has a couple of good videos to help interpret what you're seeing on the sidescan.

I picked up the same model last year. "TacticalBassin" has a couple of good videos to help interpret what you're seeing on the sidescan.
I'll check them out. Thanks.

@OzzyDave I'd imagine with practice that stands out. Even though I see it, since you've pointed it out, it's hard to see it.

This area is almost solid smooth sand so all of the white marks are fish. If the ones on the right side of the boat have a shadow to the right of them you know they are suspended off the bottom. The farther the shadow is from the fish the farther off the bottom the fish is. Same on left side of the boat. New info directly left and right of the transducer is at the top of the screen, old info farther down the screen is farther behind the boat and to the sides. So basically by the time you see it at the top of the screen while moving at 3 mph they are behind the boat diagonally by the time they come onto the screen.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back