First Western Hunt (An internal debate....)

That is exactly what I’m hoping for. Big country, glassing, and lots of game.

Where were you traveling from?

My first hunt out west was a whitetail hunt in the river bottoms around Bozeman. I had seen more deer in a week than I had seen in the past 10 seasons of big woods hunting. That was enough to hook me.

Honestly, that’s why I’m leaning toward a deer hunt. A little more adventure for the first trip out.

If we do an antelope hunt we would like to at least have two buck tags and a doe tag between us.

Driving Logistics for a deer or elk then yes drive. For one antelope, not so sure it’s worth 30 hours on the truck both ways. Especially, seeing you could be done in a day.

That’s a 3 day weekend hunt if you fly. A backpack with a change of clothes, your gun, and then a 40q cooler from Walmart to fly home with.

You could be there and back before you even got there with your truck.

I would do the antelope for the first hunt. This is why. One thing I have noticed about first time eastern and especially big woods hunters like you is that they tend not to look for game at the distances we in the west are used to. Antelope are fairly easy to spot and the wide open prairie will force you to look for animals out beyond rife shot. Good practice for you if when come looking for deer in the future. Just make sure you have a good set of binoculars that are made for finding things and not looking at stuff you see with the naked eye. A good rule is for binoculars that they have an objective lens of at least four times the power. Example, 10x40's good, 10x25's nearly worthless for glassing.

Last edited:
I drove out of Wisconsin. Not a bad drive to central Montana. I think you will find the whitetail areas can have much less pressure than the mulie areas as well. You just need to scout some zones in the general areas with good BMA along river corridors. As long as you can find some green trees along a river, in the middle of arid terrain, you will find whities.

Reactions: LCH
Driving for 30 hours to shoot a whitetail, you could shoot at home, is crazy. If your putting that much into it, chase a mule deer.

I would do the antelope for the first hunt. This is why. One thing I have noticed about first time eastern and especially big woods hunters like you is that they tend not to look for game at the distances we in the west are used to. Antelope are fairly easy to spot and the wide open prairie will force you to look for animals out beyond rife shot. Good practice for you if when come looking for deer in the future. Just make sure you have a good set of binoculars that are made for finding things and not looking at stuff you see with the naked eye. A good rule is for binoculars that they have an objective lens of at least four times the power. Example, 10x40's good, 10x25's nearly worthless for glassing.

I glassed up my first pronghorn buck 3.5-4 miles out. You aren't glassing up these groups of pronghorn with the naked eye.

Do you think a spotter is required or can a guy get by with a decent pair of 10x40 binos?

Generally speaking a great pair of binos will be optically better than a cheap spotter. You will hands down be able to find more game with a pair of swaro el 10x50s than you could be a $400 spotter.

That being said, I have $400 binos and I sometimes bring a cheap spotter when hunting Wyoming. Definitely not a requirement, but I would bring it if you have it.

Not all cheap glass is equal. Recently there was a sale on Leupold Mackenzies for 99 bucks. I wouldn’t hesitate to use those to start. I bought 2 pairs for my kids and they are great for the money. That being said my dad has a 300 dollar pair of Nikons that make a great paper weight.

All things relative, a good pair of 10x40s will be fine to get you started. PM Schmaltz and he will take care of you. After your first year if you want to upgrade to a spotter than do it. Not having it won’t hinder you on your first year.

Guess those Nikon Prostaff Binos aren’t worth buying! I’ll have to save up for something nicer.

Not all cheap glass is equal. Recently there was a sale on Leupold Mackenzies for 99 bucks. I wouldn’t hesitate to use those to start. I bought 2 pairs for my kids and they are great for the money. That being said my dad has a 300 dollar pair of Nikons that make a great paper weight.

All things relative, a good pair of 10x40s will be fine to get you started. PM Schmaltz and he will take care of you. After your first year if you want to upgrade to a spotter than do it. Not having it won’t hinder you on your first year.

Do you think a spotter is required or can a guy get by with a decent pair of 10x40 binos?
Spotters are real handy when it comes to judging how big a buck is. You sound like you are more interested in the experience and a cooler full of meat. If you have a spotter, bring it but you will get by just fine with out one.

I would also recommend starting with antelope. You can draw some units with 1 point and have a great time. Apply for doe tags in the same unit.

Antelope is fun, but I wouldn’t drive from New York for a hunt that could easily be over in one afternoon. It sounds like you enjoy a bit of a challenge. I think you should go for mulies. Decide what kind of terrain you want to hunt and use that to narrow down which tags to apply for. Grab a few doe antelope tags for the way home.

Do the deer hunt. it will a totally different in good way experience then NY deer hunting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back