First Turkey

pointingdogsrule

Just some history. This past December and January I was at Mayo Clinic for 36 radiation treatments. If you haven't been to Mayo... and I hope you never have to be there ... you will meet the most kind and wonderful people on the earth. On the last day of my treatments I handed out a book of "OFFERS". These were to repay the kindness. Offers such as kayaking, dinners, trout fishing and turkey hunting.
The last offer that I thought anyone would take me up on was the turkey hunt. Well one of the "radiation therapists" told me that he had an 8 year old that wanted to get a turkey. He and his son, Chase arrived at my place at 5 AM. yesterday. The blind was all set up days before and of course the turkeys were located :) Dad and Chase sat in the blind as I sat 15 yards behind and up a hill were I would be calling. Practicing "social distancing".
As early morning came the toms started gobbling in the valley. Must have been at least 10 toms total. Then the hens started cackling. I had the feeling that it was going to happen this beautiful morning. The hens flew down into our field, however, no toms. The toms followed a "hot hen". We watched the 15 hens cross the field and headed north. There was one hen lagging behind. This hen decided to come over and check out my DSD decoys. She was the dominant hen and started to attack (peck) my feeding hen. I've had this happen before..... except she stayed on that decoy for 1 hour and 10 minutes!! She just wouldn't stop. The hen finally left. Soon after gobbling stared once more. The toms were on the move looking for other hens as it was now 9:30. Toms crossed the field, however, they went after other hens. Finally a jake shows up at 200 yards and is "lonely". He heads for the soft calls and decoys. At 25 yards he gets cautious and slows down. I hope that he commits. Slowly step by step he gets closer. I'm yelling to myself "shoot, shoot" as I am not in the blind. Well the dad and Chase had lots of patience. At 17 yards Chase made the perfect shot as the jake fell dead. From the blind i could hear, "I got him, I got him", as Chase yelled. Pictures were taken and lots of smiles.... I can tell you one thing with no doubt... the person with the biggest smile was NOT Chase or his dad.
The jake had almost a full fan and 4 inch beard. His dad later called and told me that Chase was showing the bird off to everyone in his town :) I imagine the bird didn't get cleaned until late that night (just kidding).
"kindness returns kindness"
good luck to all
the dog
20200411_094324.jpg20200411_095457.jpgResized_20200411_094359.jpeg

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back