PEAX Equipment

First Turkey Hunt

Jchiggins2012

Me and my buddy just got our general season Utah tags. Just wondering if anyone knows some terrain or areas that I should be looking for? I know jack shit about turkeys, were going to just research the hell out of it.

But any tips and pointers would be great in regards to Utah terrain and common turkey roosting areas.

Thank you

I'm no turkey expert and don't know chit about Utah, but I look for areas with flat benches above steep ridges where the birds can take off from the top to roost in the high trees away from predators. Water down at the bottom of those ridges is a bonus, but not a necessity. Knowing how to use a call - a reed, a slate or even a box call - is a useful skill. In areas I don't know, I generally head up a couple days in advance and spend pre-light hours going between likely locations and trying to generate "shock gobbles". Some toms are so keyed up, they'll gobble in response to anything - a coyote howl, an owl hoot or even a door slam (seriously) in addition to a hen call.

Turkey hunting on public land in areas where there aren't a ton of birds can be fun but are usually nothing like what you see on tv or the interwebs. Good luck!

been a few times, would like to go with if you draw or go out this year. I put in for draw ( crossing fingers)

Back