Caribou Gear

First Timer's Success!

Rickdf

I recently got back from hunting in MT. It was an incredible time capped off by filling tags. This was my first time hunting pronghorn, and I can't wait to do it again!
We must have seen over 400 animals in the 4 days we were there. I could have filled my tag the first day but chose to hold off so I could continue to hunt. I had spent several months
planning and anticipating the trip. It was like the build up to Christmas. I didn't want it to end on the first day!

Weather was great the first two days. 50 degrees and sunny. The weather turned south thereafter. I purchased an OTC mule deer doe tag and filled that Saturday morning. Monday morning comes and I'm starting to feel regret for not filling my pronghorn tag when I had the chance. Knowing I should be going home within the next day gave me an uneasy feeling. I started to consider that I had missed my opportunity. I was lucky enough to draw a non-resident either sex tag my first time applying and decided I wasn't going to let a small thing like work get in my way. I was determined to not leave Big Sky Country without cutting two small triangles in my tag, regardless of how much vacation time I had to use.

Luckily, Monday was my day. I set out about a mile and a half from the road on some BLM land. I'll spare the long version of the story...

After the field care came the task of getting him back to the truck. This being my first pronghorn, I was hoping to bring it to a taxidermist so I didn't want to damage the hide. I was also told of the white tips at the end of the antlers and that it is somewhat uncommon. He's not the biggest but he's special to me.
I chose to wrap it in my hunting coat for the drag out, which actually worked quite well. The shoulder hide remained completely intact.
The mile and a half walk in meant, you guessed it, the same walk out.
2.5 hours and countless rest stops later I got to the truck. It was the most physically demanding thing I've ever done in my life, and I'm a firefighter. It was the best and hardest moment of my hunting life at the same time!

I came out of this with new experiences which I'm grateful for. I've learned what to do next time to make it better, but equally important, I've learned what not to do.

ant.jpg

ant 2.jpg

Congrats - nice animal. Next year you need to wear a pack with a meat shelf and cape/gutless quarter in the field - way easier than dragging 2 miles.

Yeah, I'll definitely have to look into that! I originally started hunting close to the vehicle and quickly realized how far away I had gotten.

Do a lot of people cape the whole thing in the field or just cape to the neck and do the rest later?

That's a nice 'lope.

The first cut I make is from the back of the head right through the mane on the back of the neck, and then follow the top of the spine to the tail. Cut around the knees, then up the back of each leg. Then start peeling the hide off as you do the gutless method.

After all the quarters, backstraps, and tenderloins have been removed, start going up the neck until the hide is free all the way around the base of the head. Remove the head at the base of the skull. Then lay hide out on it's side so both sides match up. Separate the front half of the hide from the back half by cutting about 1 foot behind the front shoulder. This will give you enough cape for pedestal or regular shoulder mount.

I do my own taxidermy so I skin out the head later. It's not hard to do but does take some practice but if unsure, let your taxidermist do it.

Do your best to keep blood off of the white hair since it's pretty much impossible to get out of the hollow hairs of the brisket and up the throat after it gets sucked up in those hairs.

antelope_cape reduced.jpg

That's a nice 'lope.

The first cut I make is from the back of the head right through the mane on the back of the neck, and then follow the top of the spine to the tail. Cut around the knees, then up the back of each leg. Then start peeling the hide off as you do the gutless method.

After all the quarters, backstraps, and tenderloins have been removed, start going up the neck until the hide is free all the way around the base of the head. Remove the head at the base of the skull. Then lay hide out on it's side so both sides match up. Separate the front half of the hide from the back half by cutting about 1 foot behind the front shoulder. This will give you enough cape for pedestal or regular shoulder mount.

I do my own taxidermy so I skin out the head later. It's not hard to do but does take some practice but if unsure, let your taxidermist do it.

Do your best to keep blood off of the white hair since it's pretty much impossible to get out of the hollow hairs of the brisket and up the throat after it gets sucked up in those hairs.

View attachment 118527
What am I looking at with the horn in this picture?? Does the horn split with a separate branch going forward?? If so please post another pic really cool looking!

Congrats and welcome to HT. Nice buck. I did my first pronghorn hunt last year and learned a ton too. Learned stuff on this years trip too.

Let us know what you did differently after next years hunt!

Back