Yeti GOBOX Collection

First timer for DIY CO rifle

huntfishcamp

Have a group of 4-6 commited to CO this fall, rifle We'll be Truck camping. We are all ready for getting off the main trails and we hope to spike camp as well, maybe in seperate groups.
Myself and one other have hunted MT rifle before, the others are newbies (MT NR fees chased us away). We've narrowed down our search to SE GMU12 or Eastern GMU 25, finally feel like I might understand the hunt codes, seasons and regs. Now, we just need to decide what season, we all have '0' CO points. Anyone like to donate? :)

Just looking for opinions on option of building points for a 'trophy' unit, or just try to get in on the first season where 1 or no points are needed. Note sure those who go this year will want to go every year like myself
Also looking for opinions on the benefits of each season. The CPW site just touches on this subject.. Without a high chance of snow cover during first season the tracking option is out, which seems to be key to me, was key in MT anyways..PM's welcome!

Colorado will gladly take your money, but its stingy when it comes to giving up a Bull. In GMU 12 or 25 expect to see lots of company.

We hunt the wilderness in the 25/26 area and I can tell you that while there are people on the edges, the more effort and deeper you go the better off you are. We camped as far in as we could at the edge and then hiked a couple of miles in and up every morning and our result was 3 elk for two hunters in 3 days...not typical but just an example. Packing all that meat out will make you a man (pack frames only for us) but it is well worth it.

#1- Find an area that has access via forest service &/or BLM; most GMU's do.
#2- Check out DOW Draw Statistics for the GMU to see IF and how many permits are still available for the 2nd drawing...(your first choice is going to be for a PRIORITY POINT). Check out other GMU's for your 3rd and 4th choices.
#3- Apply for a Party permit...everyone gets the permit if your drawn.
#4- Check off Leftover Draw on your apps.
Seasons: Archery is long; pre-rut and rut is during this season. Most GMU's Over-the-counter but you may need to apply. Muzzleloading is during the rut and is all draw (see #2 above) occasional snow. First limited rifle is short and all draw, elk may still be bugling. 2nd rifle is usually OTC licenses, snow is not out of the question...bring tire chains!!!
Again: Study those draw statistics charts til your eyes start to bleed. Last year Grand Mesa, cow elk muzzleloading did just fine (GMU 41, 42, 52, 411, 421, 521) huge area, lots of hunters/ATV's, such is life. Get out before daylight and don't get back to camp til dark-thirty.
Finally: Consider a cow license. Cheaper AND usually zero-points required to draw.

Surely!! I am a newbie, but have been "adopted" by some great guys. The old adage is certainly true "there is no substitute for hard work". Best of luck and in the end even if you don't take an elk, the time in elk country is PRICELESS!!!

Pics from this year.....

Attachments

• GEDC0505.jpg
    GEDC0505.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 953
  • GEDC0514.jpg
    GEDC0514.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1,037
  • Our camp.jpg
    Our camp.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 1,034
  • GEDC0515.jpg
    GEDC0515.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,034
I hunt in those units and like others say,alot of folks.But alot of elk live there.And sometimes they are closer to a trail than you think.You'll have hunters around camp,some hiking in a bit,and lots of guys
goin in on horses and they bring out most of the elk.I have a great hunt no matter the people,just be ready to hike some,and that timber is very thick and hard to get around in.But the elk are there! Hiked about 24 miles last year in 4 days,seen a whopping 4 elk,2 bulls and 2 cows.One was a legal 5pt though.

Perhaps #2 of my reply above can be amended to read that your first choice can be for a GMU that has a slight chance of your drawing and if you don't you would gain the priority point. Your second choice should be the sure-bet unit you found in those draw statistics charts I mentioned. Your starting point will be the hunt code tables in your brochure that have the asterisk (that's where Unit 41 Muzzleloading cow tag originated for me last year).

My group is still a bit divided on season one or two rifle...here's what I came up with, comments, PM
's with opinions welcome!

Season one advantages:
-first crack at elk via rifle
-better weather for travel (not necessarily for hunting)
-limited draw limits amount of people
-small chance they are still in rut
-No deer hunters
-Good chance of drawing bull w no points (gmu12)
-good chance of option of buying a leftover cow tag (cow as first choice is almost sure thing)

Season one disadvantages:
-only 5 day season (Sat 12th – wed 16th )
-less chance of snow / small chance of tracking a herd or bull (**key)
-elk will be HIGH, if anyone kills one, we’ll all likely be spending 1-2 days during the 5 day long season packing it out
-limits time for spike camping
-since short season would like to go several days on front side to scout

Season 2 adv:
-better chance of some snow for tracking / sighting elk(**KEY in my opinion)
-Colder temps may mean more active elk
-9 day season
-OTC bull tags
-unit 25 has cow draw in addition to OTC bull, can likely get 2 tags (correct?)
-if cow tag not applied for, you can accrue a point in a trophy area instead of using it to hunt limited draw gmu12 or 25
-more days to allow for a midweek spike camp

Season 2 disadvantages:
-Could be too much snow , more likely in season 3
-Elk have been pressured by Season 1
-competing w deer hunters
-colder temps at night
-roads have been heavily used already, could be crappy
-elk could still be high

Am i on the right track?

Looks like you are doing some good work on your decision making process. I hunted 2nd last season and would like to hunt third but access to our camp in 3rd is dicey at best. I would agree that in 1st you are more likely to have to go high and it will be harder hunting in exchange for less people. I am getting ready to post a new thread about another portion of public land hunting.... :)

It seems like you've decided on 1st or 2nd rifle for your hunt and a bull is what you want (naturally.) You're pretty close on the pro's and con's of each season too. One very important thing to bear in mind is that any elk that values its hide heads straight for private land at the report of the first rifle shot.
Worry as much about warm weather as anything...it'll sour meat quicker than you can imagine. Get the hide off NOW, especially the neck. Have lots of ice in camp if the weather isn't in your favor. Packing the critter boned out is three hefty loads of meat. Head/hide is pretty much an additional load.

Good luck on your choice and good hunting... my apps going in ASAP. Cow. Muzzleloading. My wife joins me hunting for the first time. Spike camp as far back as my 67-year old body can get.

Meat care is definitely of great concern. We had good cool weather and hung our meat on poles in total shade. From shooting the first bull to butcher was 3.5 days and we didn't lose any other than triming. It was all iced down for the trip home. I have to say we got some elk traffic coming back toward us from private land on opening morning. One ranch in particular must have had at least guys sitting waiting at shooting light with BIG magnums.....it sounded like an artillery barrage for about a minute and then we had a herd come across the ridge fairly near one of our party. I think the elk we shot were from that herd and had tucked into the trees after the blast-party. :)

good info, thanks, cant believe how excited I am, really looking forward to do some spike camping, never tried it before, didnt want to do it in MT (grizzly country), one reason I like CO. I think we are trying for first season, and though we probably wont need to be 5 miles from any road on opening morning, the solitude (hopefully) will be worth it! Still undecided on units, '12 havest data is out, paints a much diff picture than 2011!

Depending on the unit you go to you will always see more and more people, the trick is to put in your hard work and get back into the back country depending on your unit. Good luck!!!! Last year in my unit there was more orange than elk.

think the 1st day of 1st season you may hear some bugling;which is very helpful.I had bulls going nuts last year in wy. on the Oct 15th opener.They shut up quick as the guns started going off,but you could call them somewhat.I'd be 1st season and up high rather then hunting on an otc 2nd season.I'd get there early no matter which season and locate some thick north slopes they may head to for safety cover.A tracking snow is great,don't get me wrong,but I'd choose vocal bulls over snow anyday.Not to mention limited pressure with 1st season.seems like a no-brainer to me.I'd apply for 1st season and if you don't draw go otc 2nd season

Thanks wxman and mixedbag,. we applied for season 1, then if unsuccessful, "send me a bull OTC for season 2". Lots I like about both seasons, the very short season 1 is a downer but CO game and fish said its 5 days to sort of discourage people from hunting season 1 and spread out the pressure, he was trying to talkme into season 2 as recent years season 1 has been really warm and causing lower harvest rates, who knows. We'll have to make the most of it, (if we get drawn).

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back