First time pronghorn hunt

Hey guys, thinking about introducing my wife to big game hunting with a pronghorn hunt in WY this year. I did a lot of research and saw We can both can draw in unit 8 (Niborah) with zero points. I was looking on onx and found a couple good chunks of blm and state land close to the state line on the east central side of the unit. Success rates (according to go hunt) are in the 85 percent range in this unit. Would it be reasonable to think we could do a two day hunt and have a crack at a couple if we glass around on a couple of those bigger chunks of blm? Keep in mind this would be the first pronghorn for either/both of us so just looking for half decent bucks. Thanks for any opinions/advice in advance. I hope everyone reading this realizes I’m not asking for spots or anything like that. I can figure that out. Just want to know if it’s reasonable to find a couple quick in that unit.

You can also draw for 38 with no points. I know people who have done it. As for advice, use vehicles to move from point A to point B and spot herds in general, but be prepared to get out of the vehicle and use boots on the ground to find them. With the exception of on base where I do most of my antelope now in a blind, I find most of my antelope in the draws and valleys hidden from the road. Even on base, I find the big boys in the valleys away from the roads. Persistence pays off when antelope hunting. Out of 10-20 stalks you do, one will be successful. Learn to use terrain and vegetation to your advantage. Antelope respond more to movement than anything else. They can see more than 300 degrees. Don't give up just because most of your stalk attempts fail. That's about it in a nutshell. If you ever hunt 38, get in touch with me and I will turn you on to some good areas to set up blinds or do stalks.

I would say you have a better than good chance at find them. Having a shot opportunity will depend on many variables, but I would think you could do it.

I don't know where you are coming from, but I would tell you to think about adding a couple of extra days. There is so much to WY and western hunting that you might miss out on. If you haven't been to that area, you may not know how easy it is to get lost just admiring the scenery. There is also significant cultural and historical presence you should add as part of the more full package.

I would say you have a better than good chance at find them. Having a shot opportunity will depend on many variables, but I would think you could do it.

I don't know where you are coming from, but I would tell you to think about adding a couple of extra days. There is so much to WY and western hunting that you might miss out on. If you haven't been to that area, you may not know how easy it is to get lost just admiring the scenery. There is also significant cultural and historical presence you should add as part of the more full package.
^^^ if you can add a few days, you likely wont regret it.

Yea I totally agree about the extra days. Only issue is jobs and kids lol. I’m also going on a 5 day mule deer hunt in Montana this year. Honestly she just likes to travel and has learned to appreciate the gift of wild game over the last few years but sitting in a treestand in Indiana (where we live) for whitetails isn’t real appealing to her. So I figured maybe a couple day quick trip would be awesome. And thank you for the suggestion on 38, I will look into it as well.

It’s possible but I think it might be a bit tough especially if you’ve never been antelope hunting and have a new hunter with you. The success rate is 85% but days/hunter is 3.3.

That said, I would suggest spending a half day scouting prior to the opener and 1.5 days hunting if you only have two days out there. Also, I believe your type 1 tag is valid for any antelope - an antelope doe is definitely better than tag soup. Good luck and let us know how the adventure goes.

Looks like some fairly big walk-in areas in addition to the state and BLM land. Probably worth a shot, but be aware that the 85% success includes people hunting private land that probably shoot them in 10 minutes on opening day. Public land success is almost certainly lower. Good luck and enjoy learning.

Good to know...also I saw a couple walk in areas as well, but it looked like some of them were on private land, which confused me. Are the walkins similar to bmas in Montana?

I tried to find info on the walk in areas in the Wyoming big game brochure but couldn’t find any info

Yeah, WIAs are private lands open for public hunting. Check out the hunt planner on their website. It’s very user friendly. You can look up your chosen antelope unit and find all the info you need, including details on the WIAs in the unit.

Ok sweet thanks. I must have been looking at the wrong place. I can see them on onx just didn’t know what the rules were for access.

I will give you a hint to use when stalks are just not working. Invest in a blind and set up at a water source with lot of antelope tracks and fresh scrapes and urine spots. I have been blind hunting last two years and tagged out both years.

I hunted 8 this past season and will give some insight.

I came second week of season so take that for what it is.

I never saw an antelope on public land the 5 days I was there. Now I did hunt private and seen a total of about 25 antelope on the property I hunted. Rancher told me numbers were down but not having been there before I have nothing to compare it with.

At least one of the walk in areas are not open for Antelope. There is a big one off Hwy 85 that is open but it had on average 4 trucks there daily.

I had a friend who hunted 8 opening week and after a couple days of not seeing anything on public they paid a trespass fee.

Good thing about 8 is that if you are willing to pay a trespass fee almost every ranch will let you hunt. So you can hunt public and if you aren’t finding game you can knock on doors last minute to fill your tag.

What do landowners generally charge for a trespass fee?

I can tell you I talked to a lot of land owners before season and it varied from $300 to $750. I did find one ranch that didn’t charge and the ranch I hunted and plan to hunt again this next season charged $100

The only thing I can offer is wait and go a week after opening day. To me it is not worth dealing with the madness of opening day to try to get first the shot at one.

Back