Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

First time Hunting Mule deer in a new zone. 5 Hunting days, How many Scouting days before?

How Many Scouting Days before opening day For a November, Pre rut Mule Deer Hunt?

• One Day

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Two Days

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Three days

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Get there the night before opening day and count on luck

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

2rocky

I've looked all over my Escouting resources and FS maps and Google Earth and I'm still in the dark about what the country is going to be like once I get my boots on the ground. I'm NOT sure about where I'm going to pitch my wall tent, and I'm not sure some roads and trails will be open.

I've had my mind set on 3 days of scouting after 2 days of driving. Is that overkill? The season is only 5 days. So I would be potentially gone 12 days. I'm going totally solo...What are your thoughts?

If you can swing that, then go for it. Sounds like a good plan. I’m facing a similar situation on the hunt I’m leaving for tomorrow, except the season has been open for a week and a half already—we’re hunting the last week of season. I’ve spent a ridiculous amount of time looking at maps and GE, but won’t really know anything until we get there. Couldn’t swing a scouting trip this summer. Is what it is. 🤷

For sure RTD, if it was a longer season and I came in after opening day, I'd not bother with how many "Scouting Days" I'd just cover a lot of country with a rifle on the first couple days. I'm hoping the extra days before the season will let me see where the deer and the pressure are. Ideally on Scouting Day three I'd have a B&C buck located at sunset and kill him at first light on opening day. (My positive visualization)

I've looked all over my Escouting resources and FS maps and Google Earth and I'm still in the dark about what the country is going to be like once I get my boots on the ground. I'm NOT sure about where I'm going to pitch my wall tent, and I'm not sure some roads and trails will be open.

I've had my mind set on 3 days of scouting after 2 days of driving. Is that overkill? The season is only 5 days. So I would be potentially gone 12 days. I'm going totally solo...What are your thoughts?
Totally depends. If I am retired and have a ton of time, 3 days. Tight schedule, 1 day.

1603557618139.png

14 days before opening day

A) is it enough to push the bucks down out of the High Peaks (9-11,000)?
B) Will they be back up there in 14 days?

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back